Dewalt XR2 Batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have 3 of these, and they have been very good for many years. They are now starting to lose their charge, not yet useless but getting there. I have in the past successfully replaced the batteries in my Turbovisor battery pack with ones from Maplins, and I expected to be able to do the same with these, BUT...
...does anyone know how to get inside the flippin' things? There is a screw, but removing it does not give access to the pack. It seems to be welded shut. I bet there are moulded clips which you can only release if you know where they are.
Any hints anyone? Please?

Cheers
Steve

Steve
My old XR2 batteries have five screws, but they are so soft the Torx bit striped the head of the first one i tried, but i will have a look in the morning and see if they will come apart.

Steve
There are no hidden clips on mine, just remove the screws and slide apart. The inside is made up of C cell batteries.

Hi A
Thanks for looking. We must have different versions of the battery.
"Just slide apart"
I wish.
I'll keep you posted though, if I do succees.
Thanks again
Steve

Steve,

They are probably pretty well sealed theses days to prevent just what you are trying to do.
If they aren't much use any more, I'd be tempted to cut around the join with something like a dremel, replace cells and reseal with either glue or something less permanent.

Steve
FWIW
I have in the past had to be brutal with battery packs for things that did not get a lot of use. (hand held radios etc)
Sometimes I went the dremel route for welded cases which is not as bad as it sounds. Other times I bodged new leads to the relevant connector.
Either way here are two links that I found invaluable, either for replacement non OEM packs or for new cells. They even do the cells with pre installed solder tags, (often a problem)

www.allbatteries.com

OR

www.absolutebattery.co.uk

Hope this is of help
regards
martin

Back