Dewalt thicknesser.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I shall be getting a thicknesser soon to plane up 4ft lengths of various hardwoods for scroll saw work. I have looked at the Dewalt and talking to my local dealer he said that in the new ones the blades have to be set. I was of the opinion that I could get disposable blades that can be used on both sides and this would eliminate the need to set them up each time. If I went for the Dewalt how difficult would it be to change the blades and set them up properly. many thanks for any comments.

PS. Most people advise me to get a PT but I only have enough space for a thicknesser.

Geoff
Its a few years since i was looking at the available options, one of my decisions was the actual price of the blades. The Dewalt are quite expensive, compared to the disposable. it was the yellow perform i went for in the end, not too different to the now axminster version.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod580438/

At that time the blades were circa £12 /pair. Now gone up to £20. The dewalt at the time were £40, no idea how much they are now. I did go for a PT. I personally think you'll regret not going for PT if you don't have the jointing cabability elsewhere. i put mine of a movable wheel base so it can be moved around and out of the way.

I've now made a sharpening jig for the blades and i can get at least 5 or more uses out of each blade, and having kept all the old ones over the years, i think i'm set now for the next 5 years at least. You will use a minimim of one set of blades per small project as a rule, or thats how it works with the disposable for me (using mainly Oak, Teak and other hardwoods).

Geoff, are you aware that Axminster do a benchtop P/T?

Several people on here have got one and as far as I know, are very happy with it.

Wow!! I'm amazed at what Kinsella said about one set of blades per small project. I've got a Delta thicnesser and an Axminster CT150 planer, both around seven years old. I am not a prolific producer of sawdust by any means but both machines are on their original blades, neither of which have been sharpened. The Delta has reversable disposable knives and the planer re-sharpenable ones. i would estimate that both machines have processed about 15 ft3 of hardwood and probably the same in softwood and the finish is still excellent. I tend to take very small cuts, about half a mm or even less at atime and gradually creep up on the dimension that I want. Can't fault either machine, if you can get a Delta thicknesser second hand I would heartily recommend it. The only thing with the planer is I wish it was 8" rather than 6" but its done proud over the years.

Richard

off topic, geoff, but would veneering birch ply or mdf be any use for your scroll sawing- it would give you a huge range of timber options if so, with no problems of trying to source timber to your requirements?

Back