DeWalt Thicknesser DW733.. anyone have one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Triton thicknesser that is constantly sniping everything that I'm putting into it. Long wood (8ft), short wood (13") and pretty much anything in between. I've levelled the tables, replaced the tables with a 4ft length of ply going right through the thicknesser, check horizontal levels, replaced blades et etc and the ONLY thing that I can count it to do is to muck up any piece of timber that it comes into contact with.
I really need to see the back of this thing but I really need a thicknesser so I'm thinking of buying the DeWalt DW733.
Does anyone have any experience of this one? I know it has a head lock which is supposed to reduce snipe but does it actually work or is it marketing BS?
Do any of you guys who have one experience snipe regularly? My Triton does it EVERY time so anything that only did it occasionally would be a big improvement for me!

I was also looking at the Makita Thicknesser but the general consensus seems to be that the DeWalt is better..
Any advice would be of great help!

Yes I've had the deWalt 733 for ages, about 15 years I think. It's been very satisfactory. On your specific question, the snipe is very low, in fact I hardly ever notice it. I do use the headlock (though it is pretty good without that) and am careful to align the folding tables properly, keep it clean, and put a really good chip extraction on it when running. I sharpen the blades myself with the planer attachment on a Tormek, and of course this makes a difference to the finish, which is excellent and hardly needs hand planing afterwards. It's never broken down.

This is light hobby use, not professional, but I've done some quite heavy duty work on it in using reclaimed floorboards of teak etc.

Are you supporting the piece properly as it enters and exits the machine, IE, lifting up slightly on the trailing edge of the board as it engages with the rollers and lifting the front of the board as it disengages with the rollers? I found bad technique by letting the ends of the boards drop down is the prime source of snipe, albeit I've never used a lunchbox style machine so I couldn't comment on whether a locking head would help.

Not sure what the difference is between the 733 and 734, but I am not a regular user of a thickness planer and have a 734. I get good results with it when I do use it.

I mention that i'm not a regular user because that lets you know I really don't know to do much with it other than set it on a short stand and stuff wood through it. If I am careful and don't allow wood to spring off of the back side, it will do very close to snipe free.

Where did you get a 734? I was told that wasn’t going to be released in the UK!

After sacrificing a fingertip to an (otherwise) lovely Elektra HC260 I replaced that (the planer, not my fingertip!) with a Triton and found it pretty good with regards to snipe. I did have some issues when I tried to feed some 13 feet long, 9" wide, 2" thick scaffold boards but I think that might just have been taking the mick a bit. I have subsequently fitted a false bed to it using a 4 foot long length of melamine supported by one and a half inch thick plywood frame but have yet to try it out.

I keep seeing the DW735 on youtube and a voice in my head goes "Want one" but that seems to be another unavailable this side of the atlantic. Maybe just as well.

I bought a used one only a week ago so just test pieces so far but excellent result, very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back