DeWalt stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex-71

Established Member
Reaction score
It has been a fair while since last posting, but a story begins (you may wish to ready tissues, for tears that is)

I have been using DEWalt for a number of years without any real drama - until now
I say now, but it goes back a little way - read on .............
Wednesday (just gone) I needed to use my jigsaw but had left it at job location. However, I then remembered I had bought a dewalt jigsaw about 3 years ago, new not second hand.
I had not even taken it out of the box, let alone use it.
OK, hands up, my fault, I should have at least tried it, yes, yes, yes, I know .......... anyway, plug in depress trigger and ...... nothing. Long story short, as I had owned it for some 3 years decided to look inside and forget about guarantee due to time.
The wires inside were a mess, 2 of them not even connected.
Incoming wires trapped between bits of the casing, with the negative wire having a split exposing inner core.
You may understand that I was a little miffed.
Is this a new norm, or have I just been unlucky?
Makita has been intruding into my 'bits' of late and with this episode may take over entirely.

your thoughts?

Sounds like you were taken by someone. I would think they took it apart for some reason then sold it on. It’s highly unlikely that wires would be disconnected and crushed from the factory. It could happen but I’d point my finger at the person you bought it from.

Totally agree with Paul, someone has attempted to repair that item and given up. Not unusual these days for dodgy sellers to mislead by selling items that stretch the imagination and bend the truth, it seems it is the world we now live in.

With corded tools you are not tied to the batteries so I always buy the best type of tool and brand comes second so long as it is quality and does it mater that you end up with a range of brands.

How do you buy a (fairly) expensive machine like that and not even switch it on for 3 yrs?

Sounds fairly repairable to me

Yes, it would seem as though as you say, but I have used this particular supplier for a number of purchases (some on the expensive side) and have no reason to suspect nefarious dealings.
When first opening the casing I had the distinct impression that the condition was as it left the factory, could not swear to that, but the look was there.
As for not using for 3 or so years, I could answer that, but I would look the complete . if I did, so I will hold off and avoid that answer!
Will return the piece for repair - ever hopeful

Friday afternoon lemon.
Perhaps the technician had a chip on his shoulder???

Cheers James

As for not using for 3 or so years, I could answer that, but I would look the complete . if I did, so I will hold off and avoid that answer!
no offense was meant, I just cant imagine spending £100+ on a machine and then not using it. Screws, drill bits, fixings, I could easily see myself buying and putting to one side for use as and when, but with a machine I would want to try it out.

I bought a polisher a couple of years back for a job, then the customer changed his mind and I never used. It. Ive kept it for next time and for polishing my truck, but i still haven't plugged it in :ROFLMAO:ive got mostly makita 18v kit, sone dewalt 18v. Im kerping a mixture. The makita jigsaw has an issue with the blade holder going wonkey occasionally, thennit seens to relocate and is ok for a bit. I'll either get it fixed or buy a dewalt instead.

Back