Dewalt Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys I’ve just bought a europac model. Looks great but having trouble aligning stuff. Blade keeps burning. Just had blade sharpened so not that. Any tips would be a good send. Cheers

I have Dewalt 125 I bought it new 35 plus years ago it has been a brilliant pice of kit however moved to the IOW recently setting up the new workshop went to cut a piece of timber the saw made an unusual noise switched off within seconds and noticed blade had come loose, I think the machine had also switched its self off, it knocked the power off at the consumer unit, I could smell a mild electrical burning smell switched back on, machine dead pushed the reset button but can only hear buzzing sound from the motor. Has anyone got any ideas my worse fears is the motor may have burnt out to say I am upset is an understatement.

I have the DeWalt 1501. It has a self resetting thermal shut down if it's overloaded, but wouldn't trip the circuit.
If the blade had come loose, the motor may have stalled perhaps overheating the motor, but you think the overload shutdown would have kicked in to protect it?. Perhaps it did, but without the fan running it overheated the coils before reaching the overload shutdown? perhaps others have better advice. Unfortunately it sounds a bit terminal. £440 for a replacement 😭

I have the DeWalt 1501. It has a self resetting thermal shut down if it's overloaded, but wouldn't trip the circuit.
If the blade had come loose, the motor may have stalled perhaps overheating the motor, but you think the overload shutdown would have kicked in to protect it?. Perhaps it did, but without the fan running it overheated the coils before reaching the overload shutdown? perhaps others have better advice. Unfortunately it sounds a bit terminal. £440 for a replacement 😭

Thanks for your reply I thought the overload would have kicked in it all happened in seconds. have checked new motor is as you say £440 as I recall when I bought the machine new I paid around £350

Thanks for your reply I thought the overload would have kicked in it all happened in seconds.
I have a suspicion that the overload takes a few seconds to operate. When I'm using the saw, I can predict when it will shut down by the sound of the motor. I think it's a thermal shutdown, because it takes a good while to reset. My saw doesn't have a reset button. I think a motor repair may be a cheaper option if you want to keep the saw. There are a few motor experts on here who will be able to advise better than me. Used saws seem to go for about £350ish, just what you paid for it new!

My advice if it hasn't got a break fitted get one it removed the temptation to leave small bits to accumulate (it then starts fireing them around the workshop through windows ect) or even worse sweep them out the way without or before it stops(risk of no fingers)

.... but can only hear buzzing sound from the motor. Has anyone got any ideas my worse fears is the motor may have burnt out to say I am upset is an understatement.
Sounds like a start capacitor problem to me. They are consumable, so 35 years is good going. Try to find what value in micro Farad it is and find something close with a 400 Volt rating to replace. It will only be a few pounds and is worth trying. It's a round cylinder wired to the motor.

Back