DeWalt,Makita or Mafell plunge saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13eightyfour

Established Member
Reaction score
Well ive become very tired of trying to manhandle 8'x4' sheets on my own through my tablesaw (which is Unappropriate anyway!) So im looking for a guided plunge saw.

Ive looked at

MAFELL KSP55F 1.6mtr rail(and clamps) £320
DEWALT DWS520 1.5mtr rail £330
MAKITA SP6000K 1.4mtr rail £290

Ive also seen another mafell non plunge that comes with a flexable rail which is about £300 but the flex rail kind of puts me off it and im not really bothered about portability anyways

At the moment im leaning towards the mafell as it seems like the better deal tbh but has anyone got any ideas?

I've just cut down 4 sheets of 30mm MDF, 4x 25mm MDF and just starting on 7 2800x2050 sheets of MFC.

I could not of been able to cut these, to the precision required on my own without the festool with 2700 and 1400mm rails. Not sure if the others offer a longer one piece rail than stated, and i know it's over your budget but pay the extra. You will not regret it.

Its not that the festool is above my budget i never considered it because if im honest i dont buy into the whole festool thing. At my previous job we had a festool router and a sander, whilst i didnt have any problems with the router i couldnt say it was any better than the old elu we had, and the sander packed up within 2-3 months admittedly it was replaced but its left me wondering whether there worth there premium?

I, on the other hand am buying into the whole festool thing. No matter what i am doing, if using the festool it's done quicker and to a slightly better quality. This then saves me money (after the higher outlay that is).

if in the swindon area, pop in and have a play with the TS55 and both rails before you make your mind up.

Thanks for the offer, im not that way very often, but ill bear it in mind, Theres a dealer not far from me nr lincoln so i might give them a ring tomorrow and see if a demo is possible, I dont mind paying more IF its ultimatly a better product.

I have the Mafell KSP55F with rail and have been delighted with it. I've had it about 5 years and cannot fault it. That said, I've not used any other makes of track mounted circular saws so for all I know they may well be as good, or better.

The construction of the saw is excellent - castings rather than pressings and the rise/fall is on a pair of columns rather than pivot as the cheaper saws. On the whole feels a very solid piece of kit.

The saw is perfect for your intended use of breaking down sheet material which is what I use it for. Have also used it for trimming doors, gates etc. If you pass or are near to North Derbyshire, you're more than welcome to come and try it out.

Cheers, Ed.

im also in the same boat!

ive been looking and playing with a few and im going to go for the makita set at the moment axminster is doing them with an extra 1.4 meter add on for £299!

13eightyfour":38siszzn said:
Its not that the festool is above my budget i never considered it because if im honest i dont buy into the whole festool thing. At my previous job we had a festool router and a sander, whilst i didnt have any problems with the router i couldnt say it was any better than the old elu we had, and the sander packed up within 2-3 months admittedly it was replaced but its left me wondering whether there worth there premium?

Yeah you are right Festool are probably as good as the old Elu stuff and thats the point, obviously you cant buy Elu anymore now but I would say Festool is a good alternative.

I bought the ts55 saw, rails, midi vac and ehl65 planer a while back and have found it all very good stuff. Yes it is expensive but it does pay for itself in no time by saving you time on jobs.

I wouldn't buy everything Festool ie I looked at the Kapex mitre saw got a very good deal on it but decided the Makita ls1013 would do me for less than half the price.

At least look at the TS55 saw you can then compare it to the others.

No one's mentioned EZ (who guessed it'd be me?) The quality of cut is exactly the same as Festool. Fact.

I have a Mafell KSP40. For its size it is a fantastic plunge saw.
Due to its size it cuts most worktops for me easliy, easy to cut out sinks, hobs.
Only problem is it cuts max 40mm, but the build quality is second to none, great when out on site, as the Festool would be a worry to use unless in nice clean area.
I also have Festool stuff, the planer is very good and a small 125mm orbital sander is excellent and leave a very good finish.

wizer":2al5j3j7 said:
No one's mentioned EZ (who guessed it'd be me?) The quality of cut is exactly the same as Festool. Fact.

I don't want to get into an argument but how can you say that the EZ has the same quality cut when its just a rail. The Festool is a saw and a rail the quality of cut on the EZ surely depends on what saw you use with it.

Also the original poster was enquiring about plunge saws the EZ is not a plunge saw is it I thought it was a rail or am i wrong.

Point taken about the OP

But the EZ system makes all but the very low-end budget circular saw, cut to Festool standard. It's a fact, I have used both systems. Ok you don't get the plunge action, but I don't understand what benefit this brings?

The plunge part is one of the main benefits its a much safer way to plunge down when say cutting out for hobs or sinks or any cut out.

If you have ever tried to plunge cut accurately with a normal circular saw you will know what I mean.

Also the the blade that comes with the ts55 is an excellent quality blade I fitted some internal hardwood doors the other day and trimmed the sides at a 3 degree angle with the saw and you could not tell it was cut with a saw. No saw marks whatsoever so no need to plane it and thats with a blade that has not been sharpened yet and been used for a few months.

13eightyfour,

Forgot to say there is a post on the Festool owners group that Mafell have a new plunge saw coming out so that might be worth a look.

I'm not trade, so fair point about the plunge action. I don't think I'll ever need it.

I have cut MDF, Chipboard, Ply, MFC, Hardwood, Softwood -no chipout or saw marks ever. I admit, the blade is a 40t freud. But those blades are cheaper then festool blades.

Horses for courses. I just don't think it should be discounted in this kind of debate.

13eightyfour
There's a huge choice in rail saws. decide if you need the plunge or pendulum guard type and if electronics are important (for cutting plastics and composites)
Festool make both types with and without electronics (check the blades spec with each machine type)
Mafell do KSP pendulum and KST plunge saws(both will plunge cut)
Dewalt and Makita both had pendulum rail saws in the 90's which have quietly dissappeared
Festool patents have expired on the rails(very similar to old Mafell anyway)
so expect to see more machines appearing soon.Metabo have announced one for spring 2009 and the new Mafell MT 55 CC is worth investigating as it will run on the common festool rails and the Mafell(which allows narrower strips to be cut) Neither of these new machines has a riving knife! apparently this is a new approval from Holz-BG (if it's any consolation I can't decide either)
Matt

I have the Festool TS55 with a 3mtr rail, as well as other lengths, and think it is great. But the dealer I buy from now stocks the Makita as well. The saw and rail are basically the same, they tell me, but the Makita is cheaper. Just depends on whether you buy into the 'Festool is made to last a lifetime' thing, or that the same saw is available for about £50 less, just a different badge on it.
Never tried any other make of plunge saw but know what I have works.

Johnny B

Hi there. I bought the. Festool ts 75 and is very happy with it. The biggest benefit in the larger capacity is I frequently cut 2 to 3 sheets stacked on top of each other great for building same sized units. the ts 75 is great for thick hardwoods as well. I have read nothing but great things about mafell never seen one . Does the dewalt have a riving knife the makita does not have one but have a slide stop to prevent kickbacks but I have read that it does not work as well. Makita do have a 3 meter rail. The festool makita dewalt and mafell can use the same rail. There is pictures of the mafell on a festool rail on their website. The dewalt can use the festool rail but you won't be able to cut on both sides of the rail as with the dewalt rails. I do not know how important dust collection is to you but here the festool is exelent. The other factor to look at is accessories available. Festool has just launched a new squaring jig to square the raills to the stock. Here in johannesburg the makita rails is far cheaper so most people use makita rails with thies festool saws. The same goes with the rail clamps. Dewalt and Makita is good products but not as good as festool and Mafell. Whichever saw you choose get the cheapest rail and never buy same length rails. You can connect rails but it is nicer to have the right rail available.

busy builder":3qb06s9f said:
My local dealer in Inverness is selling festool TS55 complete with 2 rails & spare blade for £325 + VAT.

Good deal if comes with two 1400 rails not if they are 800

if you need a corlless buy dewalt if you don't mind the lead buy festool you will never regret it but if you... there are plenty of idiots paying a lot for second hand festools on ebay :D :lol:

Back