DeWalt knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought DeWalt knives for a 733 thicknesser? If so how much were they?

Roy.

Roy,

I had a 733 many years ago and as with all my planers had three sets of knives - One in the machine - one being re-sharpened - and one set in case of emergency!

From memory they were about £30 per set but I'm going back quite a few years - I didn't buy the Dewalt ones but had some cut to size and supplied by Norfolk Saw Services as they worked out cheaper like that.

Just looking on ebay they are easily available but between £40 & £45

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DeWALT-DE7330 ... 626wt_1037

Rog

That's the sort of price I've found Rog, I bought a set about three years back at £28, the price rise seems a bit steep.

Roy.

Roy? I've just paid c.£40 for a set of non-DW blades from Appleby Woodturnings (Jeremy); these were the cheapest advertised on our much-maligned auction site. When they came, the steel and the finish were definitely better than DW plastic shrink-wrap/multiple churn-out stuff. Trouble was, I haven't yet had a chance to try them out, as one of the locating bolt holes had been mis-milled by AW's manufacturer.....I have been in contact with Jeremy several times about this:

a) He is replacing the blades free of charge and I can keep the old ones; the ultimate scratch stock blades, here I come?
b) Whilst he could bite his tongue and simply purchase DW blades and send them to me to shut me up (='satisfied customer'?) Jeremy has very patiently persuaded me to wait as he maintains "the new batch of blades I'm having cut is much better quality than DW and I think you'll be pleased if you can just hang on" - paraphrased. So far, I'm waiting 10 days or so, but I'm promised information by Thursday.

Just my two copper-coloured 30mm wide monetary tokens....(I'm a child of the fifties and sixties - when we had REAL money, with weight and substance).

Sam

Morning Sam. I have a Metabo thicknesser that I was less than happy with for a number of reasons. I made a new cutter bar to take DeWalt knives as I have the means of DIY sharpening. I bought the knives from Appleby!
That was some years ago and I can confirm that they are very good!
The Metabo knives lasted 6 weeks and were throw away types, in 3 yrs I have sharpened the DeWalt ones once!
The only reason I want another set is I dislike having to stop a job to sharpen the knives.
Would you be kind enough to let me know the outcome of your purchase as I think I will be dealing with Appleby again?
If your new set are as mine, the slots can be filed as the knives are tipped with HSS.

Roy.

Thanks for the tip Roy, I had debated filing the knives to fit, but was a tad concerned about balance and holding - even though there are 6 more holes to play with. Several thousand revs and two potentially loose ends on each of two sharp objects seemed edging toward the Darwin Awards....

Will of course let you know how I get on - the first URGENT (reading this Jeremy?) is to thickness about 40' of 10"x1" 100-year-old teak (lab benching) I have to recycle into a TV unit. Given the gritty, abrasive nature of teak, this should really test the mettle (geddit? 'metal'..hat, coat) of Jeremy's product.

Sam

On the Metabo thicknesser Sam the knives are 2 mm thick and 12mm wide, I found that they would flex under load and produce a rippled finish. On Iroko they lasted a few weeks, and Iroko of course is like Teak in being abrasive.
I had a DeWalt 733 thicknesser but had trouble setting the knives, I'm blind in one eye, hence the change to the Metabo and the disposable knives.
The new cutter block I made has a groove at each end on both sides. A small magnet dropped into these grooves sets the knives to the correct height. I tried various set ups as I was concerned about vibration, as you are.
My experience is this, modify the knives and try them!
My 733 was supplied with Carbide tipped blades and I have to say that I prefer the HSS ones.
I don't need a set immediately so I'll await your results, and thanks very much.

Roy.

Well Roy, serendipity has a funny way of working. Jeremy apparently has more supply problems? 'Cos he sent me a pair of DW knives in 'yella peril' packaging! Whilst I am glad to get them, because I have an urgent job to complete for Meggie, I am disappointed I didn't get to try the Appleby steel in earnest. Specially after he sold me the idea and the delay as a good thing.

Sam

Latest posts

Back