Dewalt DW733 Start Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doonbeg

Reaction score
I have a dewalt planer thicknesser. 18 months old. Light use only. Stupidly I managed to leave it out in the rain for a few days. I forgot it was out. Careless but there it is. I dried it out before firing it up again.

The machine worked intermittently for a while but would trip out the consumer unit. It still tries to start for a few seconds. It then trips the breaker on the consumer unit. Same every time. It isn't the breaker itself as I changed them so they can definitely cope with the surge.

I think it may be a start or run capacitor but I'm no expert. Does anyone have a view on it (apart from calling me some well deserved names)? I'm stuck. I don't want to spend £25 on a capacitor, take the machine apart and it is some other problem.

I started to reply then realised the the DW733 isn't a planer thicknesser so not only does the op leave tools out in the rain but also does not know what the machines are :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I started to reply then realised I'm not the sort of person who laughs at other people's difficulties :ROFLMAO: then I thought because he's stupid I'll give him a reply that will identify the fault as something it definitely isnt and waste his time so I can feel better about myself :ROFLMAO: I was always taught to play nice, don't laugh at other people's cock ups and don't do a bad turn if you cant do a good one.

But it seems I was wrong about that too.

According to dewalt. a 733 is a planer thicknesser, not sure what myfordman is looking at.
Sadly, we sometimes get trolls asking bluddy stupid questions, but assuming you are serious, you obviously did not dry it out enough. Use a hair dryer and spend 10 minutes blowing hot air into all the electrical parts and try again.
keep the dryer moving as most of them get hot enough to melt thin wires insulation.
With the power disconnected, rotate the cutting head by hand. If that turns freely t will most likely start. If it does not tun freely, then you will need to take it apart and fine out why.

Back