DeWalt DW720 Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellandbottle

Reaction score
I have the chance of obtaining a DW720 saw, and wondered if anyone here had experience of this model.

I have an ISD saw at the moment, used only for cross-cutting, but it really struggles cutting 25mm hardwood. The motor says it is 2HP, but I really do doubt that :? . The DeWalt says it is 1450watts, which I also reckon to be 2HP, and am wondering if I would be jumping from the frying pan.......

Any advice would be appreciated.

If its a radial arm saw you think you need then the 720 might be a consideration, but honestly, you would be better with an older model, say a 1251, which are a better build quality in my opinion.
I have had a few RA saws mostly DeWalt, and the older ones apart from being cheaper, do last well if reasonably cared for.
Beware of the smaller foldaway version, the Powershop..... easy to buy one on Ebay for the unwary, thinking they are getting the "real" thing. Its NOT very lightweight, underpowered, inaccurate and runs out of adjustment and maintenance options quick if not maintained and only used lightly. and a very limited range of cut sizes.
I have also had a USA Shopsmith, better engineered than the DeWalt, great machine, easy to work on but a brush motor meant it had to go !
At the moment I have a DeWalt 721, the 12" version of the 720 and its a solid lump of stuff, better suited to shopwork than the 720.
As with all potential machinery purchases, research research research.........

Many thanks for that - you have confirmed my feelings.

I will look for one with a bit more "grunt" :) .

Edit: As a matter of interest, do you know how powerful a DW1251 is?

I am open to correction but I think they are around 1.1 HP, maybe 1.5.......
None of the RAS motors in this range ( including the 721 12") are big on HP but with a sharp blade and a steady pull will cut fine. These are not industrial machines but will happily work all day long within their limitations. Certainly crosscutting 1" hardwood should present no problems, but I crosscut all but the longest pieces now on a sliding carriage table saw.
Saying that at one point for about 5 years my only saw was a DeWalt 1100 (?) which again was only about 1.5 HP and I ripped sawn oak and mahogany boards ( 1" ) in prep fpr planer thicknesser dressing with no problems, as long as the feedrate suited the saw. A sharp TCT blade was/is essential for this. and a good set up, parallel, true vertical. square etc etc .
Bear in mind this was for a one man show, half hobby half business, and not for a full time occupation. Depends what throughput you require from it as to what you should opt for. My needs are different now so even the 721 is just a standby.
Hope this helps.

PS, I have just bought an ELU 1251 for 150 quid, not for me but for a friend that was looking for a mid sized RAS, this is a good price, usual Ebay price is around £300:00 but even then its a better bet than a similar priced 720

I have the Elu version of the 1251 RAS and it is 1.5HP. I find it cuts through 2" of hardwood easily but like has been mentioned these machines must be eased through the wood and not forced. In my opinion they are a good saw and I wouldn't part with mine even though I have the large DW718 SCMS, they are handy and give good service if looked after. :wink:

The Elu option is always the one I would go for, as I am sure Mailee would agree
One thing not mentioned yet is the amazing amount of adjustment on these machines, the column and yoke adjustments are way beyond expected wear limits and the eccentric bearing adjustments on the rolling headstock are more than adequate for normal wear and tear.
Even the most neglected of these machines can be brought up to better than new standard as long as the motor and bearings are basically sound.
The trick is to fully set them up before use and there are many guides on this, even the standard user manual is sufficient.

plug":2u6u1z2t said:
What about this,

ebay link
I would be careful with that one, I don't have a RAS but have used them in the past. :)
Look at the picture were the blade is in shot, view the larger picture. The blade guard is missing and I think the blade is on backwards. :shock:

DaveL":ez5fgt1v said:
plug":ez5fgt1v said:
What about this,

ebay link
I would be careful with that one, I don't have a RAS but have used them in the past. :)
Look at the picture were the blade is in shot, view the larger picture. The blade guard is missing and I think the blade is on backwards. :shock:

Don't think that model had a bottom guard. You're right about the blade though, and the anti kickback mech is missing. :shock:
Under powered as well I think.

Back