Dewalt DW1751 Radial Arm Saw problems getting started

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently been given (by a good friend) a 1980's DW110. It's a perfect machine for my needs, but has a problem getting up and running. The motor kicks in very briefly, but will not sustain an acceleration. Repeated waiting and re-pressing the start button eventually gets the blade rotating properly up to speed, but sometimes this can take twenty presses. Very tedious!

So I've had to resort to leaving the motor running. Photos of the capacitor and wiring attached.

After reading other posts, I am guessing it could be the start/run capacitor, but would appreciate any advice on this. I see that I can buy a Comar 20 microFarad capacitor on eBay for about £7.

Other than needing some good cleaning and re-greasing the machine seems to run nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 27
Could well be the capacitor and £7 is not a lot to part with if it turns out to something else.Be warned capacitors can pack a wallop:eek:

Interestingly i just got an elu 1251 and the main switch isnt 100%..... i press it and it doesnt always latch into the on position. After a quick search, the switches are about 45 quid! You can put in an nvr switch cheaper, but it wont fit in the same location.

Interestingly i just got an elu 1251 and the main switch isnt 100%..... i press it and it doesnt always latch into the on position. After a quick search, the switches are about 45 quid! You can put in an nvr switch cheaper, but it wont fit in the same location.
My old Elu was the same, but the switch could be dismantled to get the dust out, worth a check. Ian

No harm changing the cap, but it sounds like it could be a faulty/dirty switch. Another possibility is a stressed mains cable where it's clamped at the top of the saw.

Check the blade is a negative rake. If its an old blade thats on it why not just buy a new one that way you are sure its the right type thats on there.

I’ve just changed the capacitor on my bandsaw and got it delivered from

https://www.bedfordsaw.co.uk/
They couldn’t have been more helpful on the phone and took great pains to make sure I got the right one. It might be worth using the professionals. You have to be careful who you are dealing with on eBay when it comes to electronic things.
I couldn’t recommend Bedford saws highly enough, they’re really friendly and eager to advise.

Nice to know they are still going after all the years I've been away.....
They had a mobile saw mill out the back (junker) that I wanted to buy....
they said no...fair enough....is it still there I wonder....
even then good service was to be had.....

Many thanks for your helpful feedback!
In the end, I stripped out the capacity and NVR switch, then cleaned up all the wiring contacts and reassembled. Condition was not bad, but a little grimy.
On testing after fixing together, the motor is now starting up fine every time...success!

Back