Dewalt DW1251 Powershop motor shaft bent?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithfor

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, This is my first post on this forum. I apologise if this has been disgust before, but I cant work out how to search the forum. I have recently got hold of the Dewalt DW1251 radial arm saw and during refurbishing it, I have noticed that the saw blade wobbles from side to side. Also, if I drop the blade down so that it just touches the table surface, and then spin the blade by hand, it moves away from the table and then comes back in contact again. I took the blade off and used a dial gauge against the motor spindle, which confirms my suspicion that the spindle is bent by 0.127mm. Now, I know that doesn't sound much, but by the time you translate that movement to the teeth on the blade, the movement is visible by eye. I am wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem or if you know of a scrap machine that has a working motor. The other question I have is, does anybody know how to identify the model type for these machines? I have seen on the parts diagram "Type 1" and I need to know how to find out what mine is. Many thanks for your help!

Hi Keith,

Have you tried a New/different good quality blade on it to see if you have the same amount of visible wobble.....? I have the same RAS (year 1993) and would be surprised if the spindle was bent. I'm more inclined to think the blade is warped as it is far easier done than bending a motor spindle.

Have you checked to see if there is any front to back or up and down play in the spindle motor bearings....?

Regarding which Type yours is, you should find a Date of manufacture on the specification plate. I think mine also states the Type number as well. I can take a look at mine when I get home to clarify where you need to look.

I hope this helps.

Tim.

Hi there, Thank you for your reply. The first ting I did when I spotted the problem was to install a new Freud blade. I was quite shocked when it made no difference. I then thought the problem might be the flange that the blade tightens against, but still no joy after replacing that. Since the post you read on here, I have stripped the armature out of the motor and set it down on my steel bandsaw table, while magnetically attaching my dial gauge above the spindle of the armature. Although there was some minor variation, that could be put down to the slightly crude measuring method rather than the spindle itself. What I have noticed though, is play in the front bearing and as I can find nothing else plausible, not to mention cheap, I am going to order that and give it a bash. Thank you once again for your suggestions.

Depending on the age and amount of usage of your saw by its previous owner, it could well be the bearings. As you have stripped the motor now and are refurbishing the saw anyway, it makes sense to replace the motor/spindle bearings.

Regards, Tim.

Hi Tim,

I thought at first, that just the front bearing was worn but it seems that both of them are. At least that might explain the problem I'm having, if the entire armature is able to rock on its axis slightly.

Once I have repaired the motor I'll update this post and let you know how it went.

Thanks very much Tim.

Back