DEWALT DW125 Radial Arm Saw thermal protection switch replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichT

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dewalt DW125 radial arm saw and it cut out on me so I checked everything and the Thermal protection switch is not working, I have tried all over the place to get a replacement but they are discontinued. I can't be the only person who has had this problem, I am just hoping someone on here can help.

thanks
Richard.

Hi, I have a Dewalt DW125 radial arm saw and it cut out on me so I checked everything and the Thermal protection switch is not working, I have tried all over the place to get a replacement but they are discontinued. I can't be the only person who has had this problem, I am just hoping someone on here can help.

thanks
Richard.
It is a generic switch. Mine failed 8/10 years ago and I sourced one of e-bay from memory.

Colin

Yes, it is a KLIXIN CET67DB it has -3026 and M3S on it. I have also attached a photo of the webpage where it is but can't find anywhere on there to buy it,

It won't let me put the web address in my post

thanks
Richard.

Attachments

• Thermal switch.jpg
    Thermal switch.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 26
I am not electronically minded so I have no idea of what to buy.

thanks
The wires are on spade fittings so you can easily take the switch out. Make sure you wrap a bit of masking tape around each wire and write on it which terminal it goes to. Next take lots of photos and start searching the internet.
I just typed "radial arm saw switch" into Bing and it came up with this DeWalt Switch For Radial Arm Saw Dw1251 Dw1501 Dw720 Dw1751 861385-04 - Part Shop Direct
It is expensive as it's an original part, but with a bit more searching you should be able to come up with something at a sensible price.

Colin

My uncle uses TLC for such bits:-
TLC Electrical Supplies (tlc-direct.co.uk)

Last edited:
I have a DW125 that I have had for over 35 years and the thermal switch has never cut out in all that time.
I wonder if something else is wrong causing the switch to fail.

The wires are on spade fittings so you can easily take the switch out. Make sure you wrap a bit of masking tape around each wire and write on it which terminal it goes to. Next take lots of photos and start searching the internet.
I just typed "radial arm saw switch" into Bing and it came up with this DeWalt Switch For Radial Arm Saw Dw1251 Dw1501 Dw720 Dw1751 861385-04 - Part Shop Direct
It is expensive as it's an original part, but with a bit more searching you should be able to come up with something at a sensible price.

Colin

My uncle uses TLC for such bits:-
TLC Electrical Supplies (tlc-direct.co.uk)
How Much! That's just taking the proverbial.

I just typed "radial arm saw switch" into Bing and it came up with this

Colin

It is not the on/off switch it is the thermal protection switch, the thermal cut-out switch

Richard.

I have a DW125 that I have had for over 35 years and the thermal switch has never cut out in all that time.
I wonder if something else is wrong causing the switch to fail.

No I got the blade stuck and didn't turn it off quick enough it cut out and the cut out doesn't work now.

Richard.

No I got the blade stuck and didn't turn it off quick enough it cut out and the cut out doesn't work now.

Richard.
Mine also clicked out once.. and was very hard to click back in, I put a piece of wood on the top and pressed real hard.. then it clicked in... perhaps yours is the same.
Give it a try.. get brutal

Hi,

Colin, it is the reset button that doesn't work and I am trying to replace :)

Richard.

Sorry Richard my misunderstanding. Could you by-pass the switch and install a DOL starter which would still give motor protection.

Hopefully pressing the button harder as suggested by Danieljw will work; if not are you sure the motor is still OK if it isn't it could be the cause of not resetting?

I'm busy so not had chance to read all the thread.

Good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

DeWalt RAS_0002.JPG

Just to avoid confusion I take it this is the reset that is faulty; I've just taken the pictures of ny DeWalt RAS.

DeWalt RAS_0003.JPG

The reason I assumed you meant the on/off switch is because my on/off switch failed and not wanting to play around chasing a replacement I simply removed it and wired in a remote latching on/off station.

DeWalt RAS_0004.JPG

Here's the new on/off button station located in a safe convenient position just under the saw table top; I must add though it was the on/off switch that failed on my saw so the overload protection reset still is operational. If you have lots of problems and the motor is indeed fine then one option is to install a DOL starter but you'll need to by-pass the reset; a DOL starter will still give motor protection but the starter will need to match the Full Load Amps of the motor. I'm fully retired but am struggling for time. Please be careful playing with mains electricity it will kill given the slightest chance.

Yup, that's the button... it is as hard as you can imagine to press that pipper down....
But it will click!

Hi,

Sorry Richard my misunderstanding. Could you by-pass the switch and install a DOL starter which would still give motor protection.

Hopefully pressing the button harder as suggested by Danieljw will work; if not are you sure the motor is still OK if it isn't it could be the cause of not resetting?

I'm busy so not had chance to read all the thread.

Good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 103851

Just to avoid confusion I take it this is the reset that is faulty; I've just taken the pictures of ny DeWalt RAS.

View attachment 103852

The reason I assumed you meant the on/off switch is because my on/off switch failed and not wanting to play around chasing a replacement I simply removed it and wired in a remote latching on/off station.

View attachment 103853

Here's the new on/off button station located in a safe convenient position just under the saw table top; I must add though it was the on/off switch that failed on my saw so the overload protection reset still is operational. If you have lots of problems and the motor is indeed fine then one option is to install a DOL starter but you'll need to by-pass the reset; a DOL starter will still give motor protection but the starter will need to match the Full Load Amps of the motor. I'm fully retired but am struggling for time. Please be careful playing with mains electricity it will kill given the slightest chance.

Oh I can assure you I am careful, I have been in the construction industry for 30 years and have seen some horrible accidents with electricity. I wont mess with re-wiring parts, I am ok bypassing and testing things like this but fitting different switches with builtin thingys is way out of my leauge. I just cant find anyone to fix it locally with bloody Covid.

thanks

Back