DeWalt DW125 radial arm saw - arbor/shaft size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBertie

Reaction score
Hello - I wonder if anyone can help please? I have an old (about 1981 ish) DeWalt DW 125 and I can't for the life of me find out what size the shaft is! I've checked all the manuals and it doesn't seem to be there. I think it's 16mm (which seems sensible for a unit that I think was made in Italy) but could it be 5/8" (which is 15.85mm)?

It's simply that I need to buy a new blade and want to make sure I get the right one!

Anyone know please?!

It might be worth having a look at this old posting post897503.html?hilit=dewalt%20dw%201250#p897503 as I have included some relevant pictures and link to the handbook that specifically covers the 125.

The arbor on my 1251 is 16mm (notional) but I can fit a 5/8 inch dado set without any problems.

However, for the 'standard' blade it uses 30mm blades as the inner flange has a ridge fit this size, so I would check yours before you buy a replacement.

Using the dado set involves a different inner flange that doesn't have any ridge.

Misterfish

Thanks very much. I've measured it at 16mm but have just bought an American 5/8" bore blade....having found a sharpening workshop that could ream it out to 16mm if it doesn't fit. I'm interested that your 5/8" dado fits so it'll be interesting to see whether a 5/8" blade does in fact work without reaming.
I'm a bit confused about your 30mm comment...could you kindly explain please? My current blade...and previous ones...are 30mm bore it's a 16mm bushing washer. I understand what you mean in principle because my table Saw takes 30mm blades like that...but the fitting on the DW125 seems different. I'll check again tomorrow but I wonder if they made different blade fittings over the years.
I'm really chuffed with the saw, having bought it new all those years ago but almost got to the point of thinking I'd get rid of it because it was so difficult to get an absolutely accurate 90 degree cut...and dust extract of course. But better late than never, I stopped using the instruction manual and realised it way easier to set the 90 degree if you adjust the fence rather than the saw arm. And then I came up with a dust catcher (cross cutting only) that pretty much gets 100% of the dust. Oh, I also bought a spring loaded return mechanism and discovered the right blade configuration...not bad after 30+ years! NOw it's a great Saw!

The standard inner flange on my 1251 has the equivalent of the bushing washer machined into it so that the 30mm bore blade fits as standard - you can see it in the first two photos. As for the dado set you can see that on the saw in my second posting in that thread. The dado blades are a tight fit on the arbor but slide into place OK.

Getting it all set up accurately takes a while but when done it is a useful and accurate saw though it need to be checked regularly. As for dust extraction I have the normal extraction from the port on the standard blade guard and also a sort of chute to catch all the sawdust sent backwards that then falls into a wide mouth collector attached to my dust etraction system.

Misterfish

I just wanted to thank you Misterfish for taking the time to make your responses to my original post....much appreciated!

To close it off, I wanted to report back on what my DW125 (purchased around 1981) actually has in case anyone searches for this in the future. Firstly arbour size. It is 16mm. The initial threaded length that the fixing nut goes on is slightly less...in fact a 5/8" (15.85mm) bore blade slides comfortably over this but won't go on the arbour part of the shaft itself. For that it has to be 16mm.

On my saw, the two clamping washers that go on either side of the blade are essentially flat. This seems to be different to your 1251 as yours has a 30mm flange and so takes a 30mm bore blade. On mine, that isn't the case. A 30mm bore blade would need a 16mm bushing washer to reduce its bore to 16mm.

So there we are! One other difference with the original photos of yours that you posted...it looks as if the threaded length of your shaft is flat sided, presumably for a spanner when tightening the nut. That is also different on mine. With my 125 the shaft is fully round...the centre of the shaft takes an Allen type wrench which is used when tightening the nut.

Thanks again for the efforts.

BigBertie

BigBertie":3vpfkt0t said:
So there we are! One other difference with the original photos of yours that you posted...it looks as if the threaded length of your shaft is flat sided, presumably for a spanner when tightening the nut. That is also different on mine. With my 125 the shaft is fully round...the centre of the shaft takes an Allen type wrench which is used when tightening the nut.

Yes, that is how my 1251 is. The flat on the arbor allows the outer flange to fit as the hole has a corresponding flat bit which ensures that the outer flange doesn't slip orund the arbor. However, just like your machine the centre of the nut takes an allen key to allow the nut to be loosened or tightened.

Misterfish

Looks like I am i the right place. I have a DW125, and just love it. However the nut on the arbor is looking a bit on the sad side. I think these RAS were made in Italy, and ecpext the thread maybe metric. Q. Does anyone know the thread type. I know it is lefthand thread. These nuts are almost extinct, and from the US, prohibitive in cost. I am up for making one or two of these, from brass round stock. So, any help with the thread spec, appreviated. Regards David

I just wanted to thank you Misterfish for taking the time to make your responses to my original post....much appreciated!

To close it off, I wanted to report back on what my DW125 (purchased around 1981) actually has in case anyone searches for this in the future. Firstly arbour size. It is 16mm. The initial threaded length that the fixing nut goes on is slightly less...in fact a 5/8" (15.85mm) bore blade slides comfortably over this but won't go on the arbour part of the shaft itself. For that it has to be 16mm.

On my saw, the two clamping washers that go on either side of the blade are essentially flat. This seems to be different to your 1251 as yours has a 30mm flange and so takes a 30mm bore blade. On mine, that isn't the case. A 30mm bore blade would need a 16mm bushing washer to reduce its bore to 16mm.

Thanks again for the efforts.

BigBertie
Csn I jump in here. Does anyone know the thread size and type of the left hand threaded arbor, on the DW125, regards and thanks

Back