dewalt dw1150

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcarver

Established Member
Reaction score
Does any know if it is possible, to modify the Dewalt dw1150 planer and thicknesser, so it can be used in thicknessing mode without raising the tables?

Hmmm - I have one of these and tbh, no, not the machine itself anyway. I have to ask why the question though? Lifting the tables is simplicity itself, unless you are experiencing them going out of alignment each time?

You can remove the swing over guard - I've done that myself to make alterations to it, and it won't affect the usage of it, if that is all you are talking about, it's a pretty simple process, mine's kept in a temp controlled box and is currently buried under wood, so I can't get ti it to give you exact details, but you'll be able to work it out in short order.

About the only thing that comes to mind for frequent use, is to make a new frame for it to sit on and then contrive some sort of outrigger supports so you can make a pair of longer adjustable height beds slightly longer than the planing beds to rest longer items of wood before sliding in and collecting as they come out. (which incidentally will help reduce or eliminate snipe.)

If it were me I'd use some form of scissor lift arrangement for the two support beds to match the planer bed itself.

Bit of a project if you ask me though, not somethign I'd be keen to try myself.

If you use it rarely (doubtful) a self supporting sled will work, but then you lose some depth for the supporting rails, although having such a large throat I'm not sure that'll be a factor?

Thanks for the reply Rafezetter rafezetter

I find lifting table a pain in the a--. They always get in the way and sometimes if you don’t plane and thickness enough timber you have to go through same process of lifting tables etc.

By the way, I don’t have a DW 1150 yet but am planning to get one soon there seem to be a lot about at the moment. The dw1150 looks more robust than the Electric Beckham HC 260 I have at the moment , also the Dewalt has two feed speeds which is a bonus.
So would you be able to thickness with the tables down if I remove the extractor thingy?
Regards Woodcarver

Hi woodcarver - My tuppence worth - I'd reckon the extractor hood would then need to placed somehow over the block/surfacing beds if you plan to thickness with the beds in place - the Rojek MSP310 was a fixed bed machine using this design - otherwise all that will happen is all your shavings will compact onto the timber & also royally clog up the machine in a matter of minutes. If you look at the design of every 'lunchbox' thicknesser, they have the hood above for this reason.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Nick

Nick Laguna UK":228ds6ep said:
Hi woodcarver - My tuppence worth - I'd reckon the extractor hood would then need to placed somehow over the block/surfacing beds if you plan to thickness with the beds in place - the Rojek MSP310 was a fixed bed machine using this design - otherwise all that will happen is all your shavings will compact onto the timber & also royally clog up the machine in a matter of minutes. If you look at the design of every 'lunchbox' thicknesser, they have the hood above for this reason.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Nick

This might be so on other machines, but as yet I've almost never used my hood connected to any dust extraction - for starter's it's not even designed to have a extraction system fitted, the flip hood has no extraction port, unlike the later model Kity that copied it, (which is a TOTAL pita to use, eriktheviking has one).

I did once, after modifying it to connect a shop vac to the flip hood by adding a port, but that didn't have enough power and ironically clogged.

I've got plans to contrive something bigger attached to the port using 100mm ducting parts, but this machine has never clogged without extraction, even after planing about 50, 15ft long boards for flooring at least a dozen times each (long story) - no extraction, no clogging - there was at least 8 black bags full of shavings.

The DW1150 is a workhorse despite it's "hobby" appearance - you won't regret it.

Edit - sorry woodcarver - I missed your question - answer is a definitive YES, you will be able to thickness with the tables down once the orange flip hood is removed.

However, honestly I'm struggling to see how much of a PITA fipping the tables out of the way you think it'll be - on the DW1150 - there's just 2 toggle clamps and lift... that's it - it's 15 seconds even if you did it "slow mo movie style" :) including sliding the planer guide rail out of the way.

The downsides are zero for not doing it and the upsides are you don't have to mess around trying to feed the stock (and collect) from the sides.

Just watch this youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylEehATEc7I

One last piece of advice - when you fire up the thicknesser - do so WITHOUT the feed roller engaged (they can be disengaged via a handle) otherwise the initial power surge has been known to trip my fuseboard - I was told this by the previous owner and was dubious, but nope, there seems to be just a tad too much electricity draw to have both engaged on initial startup, it's also kinder to the machine.

Back