DeWalt DW100 Bandsaw - advice needed please? What's missing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit9660

Reaction score
Hi All. My first post here so apologies in advance if I transgress any rules and/or offend anyone, neither intended.

I recently picked up a DW100 Bandsaw for £30. It was non-operational, but after some TLC, lubrication and adjustment as per various web threads it now works, and very nicely too!!

I managed to download a Manual but the photos are pretty bad. I realise this is a very old model and it's hard several previous owners who neglected it.

My question is, what don't I have? I have seen a lot of photos around but I don't know what was original equipment and has since gone missing, and what are optional extras?

For example:
1) There's a long, thin, slot in the table; did something originally fit in it, or is it for an optional accessory?
2) I've seen pictures of a metal arm bolted to the front of the table: what was/is it, and was it original or optional?
3) Did the Sanding support come as standard?
4) How do you change the Sanding Disk?

I can upload photos if someone would like to give it a once-over for missing parts, if required. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

Get a blade or two from Tuffsaws and use the thing, they are a good little saw so long as you don't expect too much from them - just because there's a four inch gap doesn't mean you spend all day sawing four inch timber. I wouldn't worry about the sander, personally - I owned one for years and after the first paper was blunt I never used it again.

Huh? I thought you said it was a bandsaw?

What the others said, it's underpowered and small capacity for that reason however works well for softwood and thin sections so certainly not useless. Get a good quality blade or you'll get breakages and probably a max 6mm thin section as it's a 3 wheel bandsaw.

I bought a secondhand one as my very first bandsaw but that was a very long time ago, mid eighties I think and used it for several years until I could afford the bigger DW3501, so from memory,

*Sanding disk was glued on as is usual, it was 5 or 6 inch I think and easily made up from normal abrasive and double sided tape if you can't find the right size.

* There was an aluminium support table from memory but pretty flimsy.

* Rip fence clamped to the front of the table but I don't remember a bar, I think it clamped to the front with a simple screw knob.

* Slot in the table was for the mitre guide supplied with the saw.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated. I've been very kindly given most of the parts from a broken DW100, all except the sanding table. I've made good use of the sander on several occasions, just hand-holding the work, and it worked well for my use. I find that as long as I use it for small work it's a great little saw/sander combo.

I wrote to DeWalt Service asking the same Q as I have just picked one up and a few minutes later....

Attachments

• DW100 Band Saw Manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 101
Shame about the poor quality of the copy & that the pages are upside down.
I've corrected the page orientation.

Attachments

• DW100 Band Saw Manual (rotated).pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
Hi, i also have had one of these band saws for many years and is a useful tool in the garage.

I have recently had a lot of trouble with the blade/band coming off the wheels. I came to the conclusion was due to wear on the tyre on the drive wheel. I hope I have solved the problem by taking off the tyre and turning it round.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new tyre ? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks and regards
Tom

Thanks for your reply, Phil.
Bandsaw Parts do not show a tyre of the right size, about 5.5" diameter. I have sent them sent email to ask if they can help.
Best
Tom

Huh? I thought you said it was a bandsaw?
The D100 has a sanding risk with its own belt drive. You can disengage the belt drive as and when you like. As another poster stated, the motor doesn't really have enough oomph for the sander.

I still have my D100 and use it all the time for my miniatures mine hasent got a sander built on but a great little machine if you need any pics i can take some for you its in bits at the moment after house move but will rebuild shortly

I think I have some spare parts in a box in the shed: motor, base plate, wheels, table, guides etc:

I know nothing about sanders or bandsaws but I think lots of sanders use “PSA” sanding discs, I think thats what thier called? These are just pressed onto the sanding plate and grip as they are pressed on, the psa is I think pressure sensitive(?) adhesive. I made my sanding disc ouut of an old bench grinder and the platten was made of glued up layers of MDF painted and the adhesive discs stick incredibly well. Maybe thats what your machine uses?
Steve.

Hi I'd be very interested in spares.can you contact me with list and price etc. Chrs
Hi, Yes have found out the 3 wheels top with tension plate, driving wheel and idle wheel, the motor, the switch, blade guides top and bottom, the table, have not found the fence yet or the base plate will have a further look tomorrow and get some images.

Phill

Edit: Images

IMG_20220722_0857162~2.jpg
IMG_20220722_0857319.jpg
IMG_20220722_0858496~2.jpg
IMG_20220722_0859509~2.jpg
IMG_20220722_0901012~2.jpg
Cannot find the base plate might have been reused, the main frame got hit with a sliding steel beam and cracked it out of shape so I took everything off that was good and could be saved.

Last edited:
Back