DeWalt cordless drill hunts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garypm

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie here so will probably make some mistakes so here goes.
My DeWalt battery drill is just over 12 months old and it's started hunting all the time. ( A mechanical term for not running smoothly)
It's like it's connected to a light dimmer switch and someone is turning it up and down all the time.
Would anyone have a ideas that I can investigate?
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Thanks for that and I agree but it's 12 months warranty has expired plus I now live in Bulgaria.
Regards.
Garypm

You have probably tried some or all of these? Try with a different battery to determine if it's battery or drill. Problems like this are often caused by a faulty switch or controller. When it hunts, does it do it at full speed, or any speed. Does it do it in reverse?
Have you inspected the battery/drill contacts to see if there are signs of arcing, perhaps bad contact. You should be able to connect an external supply or battery to the drill using croc clips and test the drill. Can you blast any dirt out with a high pressure air line. could be dirt inside the drill. Does it have brushes? that could cause intermittent running. Search You tube, there are a few videos for DeWalt drills. Which model number is it?

Side note RE warranty - it's only three years if you register within 4 weeks of purchase, so would depend on whether the OP did that. Also, I do believe batteries are excluded from the warranty...

Great info guys.
Sandyn looks like I have some things to check on this weekend.
Thank you all very much.
Will update.

Had a vaguely similar problem on other cordless tools, a good air blasting through any vents or access points did wonders for all but one Hitachi cordless drill, turned out to be contacts from holder to battery, they are a spring steel, and one had been bent, so intermittent resistance, used to happen more often when drill handle held at 90°, the contact wasn't maintaining pressure, clean out, sand off arcing blackness, added a bit more bend to contact, never had problem again.

But I now give all tools a good air blasting regularly now.

Ok. Here goes.
Blasted with air. Contacts were shiny new but still cleaned them.
Either the battery is fully charged or partial charge and is still happens. At various points of the trigger travel, low speed or full speed.
Split the unit open and nothing obvious but still air blasted and contact cleaner applied.
Can't try an external supply, don't have one but both batteries tested fine.
It is the DCD 778 type 1 brushless.
Any other ideas?

Attachments

• VID_20211119_134124.mp4
    42 MB
Back