Dewalt 745

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruskie7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I am after a shorter riving knife for the dewalt 745 is there any custom or alternatives I could get for it? The metal is unbelievably hard and I haven’t been able to make a dint in it with a metal hacksaw.

any ideas?
I need it to be shorter to the height of the blade or just above not the inch plus it is at the min.

If you have a look on youtube i have seen a few videos of people doing this, i purchased mine second hand from a lovely chap on here and he had already made one.

Any idea who You bought it from?
Yes but i would just make your own. If you can operate the table saw safely, im sure you can cut down the riving knife after watching some youtube video, i would look at buying a second riving knife rather than cutting your original one up.
Tbh it does not look difficult at all and i would have done it if it did not come with one.

Ruskie
If you send me your email address by pm
I will contact you for your address and send you mine
It was cut down to use on cross-cut sled but I hardly use it
John
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

I could but I’ve never used an angle grinder before. Not sure how confident I am using one. Or what sort of disks I need.
You are wise to be cautious. Best to read up about using one and watch some good safety videos before trying.

I was using a 9 inch 2000 watt mains angle grinder to cut out a mortar joint. This is a fairly heavy and very powerful machine. Ground was rough but I made sure that my footing was firm and I was well balanced. Did the cut safely, no problems. Let go of the trigger and the grinder kept running. No one else around to pull the plug, could not move my feet because of the rough ground and danger of falling over. Fortunately repeated operation of the switch and the grinder turned off.

Have not used an angle grinder in those circumstances since.

I used an angle grinder to a spare (so I can keep one with the full guard etc) down, but also managed to take a bit more off a couple of weeks ago with a hacksaw and plenty of elbow grease.

Back