DeWalt 733s

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicky

Reaction score
Hi I recently bought a DeWalt 733s type 1 thicknesser/planer on a whim (£200 I'm case anyone cares). Wondering if anyone had any tips on best practice or how to get the best out of her. Complete novice getting into woodworking. Thanks in advance

Use sharp blades and learn how to set and change them (you have the manual? It is necessary. Oh, and read it!). If you have a Tormek sharpener, the planer blade grinding jig is expensive but good, and saves money over buying new blades after a few sharpenings.

Keep it clean, vacuum up wood bits off the threaded rods.

I find the WD40 + Teflon spray good for lubricating this and other woodwork machinery.

EITHER get a high volume chip collector (I use a Camvac) OR spray the chips all over the floor and sweep up after. A a normal ship vac will get backed up in no time and ruin the surface.

Make sure there are no nails in the work!

And enjoy. They are good machines, and mine has given me good hobby-level service for over ten years. And much of what I plane is hard teak floorboards.

What Keith said but get yourself a decent pair of ear defenders as well, it isn't a quiet machine.
If you didn't get a manual with it I have that on pdf if needed.

Hi thanks for the advice. I don't have a manual but think I've found a copy on the DeWalt website. Will try and get that printed and have a read before I play.

Is there anything special about a tormek or will any bench grinder do? I have neither ATM but do plan on getting one. I only ask as the tormek prices are a little high for me ATM.

Think clean up after will be done to start with but high capacity will be great when I get more space.

Oh definitely learned check for no nails the hard way with the a small power planer when I missed on previously and destroyed a set of blades unfortunately.

Glad to hear it's a good machine was a bit of a punt in the dark but took the DeWalt name at its face on this.

Ear defenders will be purchased shortly as wasn't quiet in demo when buying.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS push down on tbe locking bar after you've adjusted the cutting height.
I had 5 good years with a 733 and this was the only source of poor finish. Oh, and don't try anything over 4' long without it bolted down OR, someone feeding, a.n. other catching. DAMHIKT....
Enjoy! Sam.

More good advice above from Cons and SammyQ. With sharp blades and the head locked, the finish is really good, and also snipe is minimal as long as you adjust the inferred and outfield tables to match the height of the central fixed table.

Doesn't have to be Tormek but you do need a jig designed for 300 mm planer blades. I think there may be some grinder copies that are cheaper but use Tormek jigs mountings. The jig I use is Tormek and requires the Tormek mountings. But I think the latter may be available to fit other grinders - I just have no experience of that.

I only use the Tormek for the planer jig and for grinding badly damaged plane or chisel irons. Regular sharpening i do by hand on an oilstone.

Keith

Yup. What Lons/Cons/Bob said: 733's surfacing hardwood rival takeoff with afterburners engaged for RAF Tornados when it comes to noise. I bought my Peltors specifically because of owning a 733 and the usual recycled oranges stuffed with old newspapers and a headband just didn't cut it.
Sam

Which Peltors did you get Sam? They're anything from £20 for passive to £120 for the shooter version. I've often looked at them.

I'm sure I saw a bloke in M&S near your place yesterday wearing oranges on his lugs, wasn't you was it Sam? :giggle:

Umm...don't know! Will check in garage and get back to you Bob. I used the Army issue ones lots when running a shooting range, so it was a simple choice when I needed domestic hearing defence.

I can't afford to shop in M&S...;)

Sam

Optime III, it says on them:

https://www.onedirect.co.uk/peltor/...MI-6zg9fuD7AIVis_tCh1wZgXOEAAYASAAEgLJ5fD_BwE
Whilst this is the cheap end of the Peltor scale, I find them effective to use. As I have mild tinnitus and use two hearing aids (guess why?) I can assure you I find - particularly - their high frequency noise suppression a boon. I can't give you an empirical measurement on noise abatement, but they would be the first thing I grab in a workshop fire...

The ones I used to use on a range were similar in construction, but there you were trying to suppress high-velocity shock waves, as well as the percussive sound waves, so they may have been differently built inside. Looked similar. I find these Optimes deal well with continuous, non-percussive, noise, even a 1/2" router on full chat (nasty Erbauer, emergency purchase) and function acceptably on the odd occasion I use my nail gun.

HTH, Sam

I can't afford ear defenders 'cos the missus shops at M&S :D She actually only goes in for the meal deals and I called at Aldi for some fruit and veg as it's half the M&S price.

Thanks for the link Sam I'll have a look at those, I get a bit of tinnitus as well though no hearing aids to date, the ear defenders I have are well past their sell by date.
I use the nail gun quite a lot on occasions and never wear ear defenders which I know I should, possibly even when using the air rifle which is only a springer but still loud. (Weihrauch HW97KT). I must look that up to see how many decibels.:unsure:
ATB
Bob

Latest posts

Back