Dewalt 733 thicknesser blade bolt tightening.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I own a Dewalt 733 thicknesser which I am very happy with. One question, when changing the blades and retightening the holding bolts what pressure is best used to tighten them. The natural reaction is to want to tighten them more than perhaps necessary for safety's sake but obviously one doesn't want to damage thread etc. I read in a magazine somewhere that a torque wrench can be used to achieve the right pressure each time to overcome above worries. Does anyone out there use a torque wrench for this purpose and at what setting.

Thanks in advance
James

woodman you'll be wanting a crowfooted torque wench for that then, although I have not done it myself. It sounds like a good idea, but you have to ask is it being overly fussy

Bean

James
With my Scheppach 260, you are provided with a very short spanner for tightening the holding bolts - so you can't over-tighten them. Seems a good idea to me.
Cheers
Gidon

I find that by virtue of how I grip the spanner I can effect a crude but very repeatable 'torque wrench setting', i.e, I just grip the spanner with thumb and forefinger, applying all the force I can until my fingers start to lose the grip (not toward the cutter I hasten to add!).

Another way to gauge the tightening force is to tighten the setscrew until you just feel the resistance, and then a maximum of a quarter turn. I believe on most machines, that the blade clamping arrangement is designed so that the clamping pressure will increase with centripetal force. On some machines, thisis effected by the clamping setscrews bearing onto a tapered seat groove machined into the back of the clamping plate. So, don't be too nervous of 'undertightening' the screws. As long as they are at least 'nipped' up, there should be very little chance indeed of blade moving outward.

Latest posts

Back