Dewalt 712

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the 712 i would say generally a top flight item but i dont end to use it for show mitres as like all slide saws it can creep out of perfect. quality non sliders are more accurate usually. its a bit like an accurate ras it has to be made to work accurate. for general construction work it is superb though. it can be a little underpowered (in hardwood)and very noisy. as an example i would not choose this for cutting oak flooring it would do it but feels as though its straining a bit.

Can any of you obviously happy DW712 owners advise -

When you have the saw set up for trenching -
can you cut up to the fence or do you have to pack the workpiece away from the fence in order to cut the trench ?

Thanks

hi stevieC54,

I don't think there is a mitre saw on the market that doesn't need to have the back fence packed out for trenching, and i've tested quite a few!
It's the nature of the beast, by raising the blade, the back of it no longer sits behind and below the table so leaves a crescent in any trench you cut.
It's only a radial arm saw, where the blade retracts fully behind the fence at any height where the problem doesn't arise.

hope this helps,

Andy

Hi,

Can any dw712 owners tell me what size the saw is - I am mainly interested in the depth of the saw, how far the rails extend to the back etc.

thanks

stevieC54":1gcr7pjk said:
Hi,

Can any dw712 owners tell me what size the saw is - I am mainly interested in the depth of the saw, how far the rails extend to the back etc.

thanks

Blade is 216mm dia

Capacity is 70 x 300 at 90/90 degrees

I have one and really happy with it - though could have done with bigger saw recently when cutting 80x80 Newells, still managed it with a bit of faffing about. Its the first mitre saw I have owned and Im not a joiner so maybe not the best person to ask as do not have anything to compare to. What I would say is have a look on ebay, usually some good deals knocking about

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, what I am after is the actual size of the saw - how much space it takes up on the bench - the dimensions from the dewalt catalogue are - 457mm Depth, 580mm Length and 480mm Height.
The dimension I am most interested in is the depth - the distance from the back of the rails to the front of the saw - I need to know if it will fit on my bench.

I have a makita LS1013 , it's handled pretty much everything I throw at it and is still going strong

My main gripe is the inadequate depth stop makes it fairly hit and miss for any accurate depth of trenching , as someone else pointed out you're better off with a RAS for that

Definitely not suitable for a narrow bench though as it has sliding rails as opposed to slide on rails - so at rest it takes up twice its depth

stevieC54

The 457mm depth they're quoting is from the back of the stationary part of the saw to the front of the feet but doesn't include the slide bars. If you allow for the slide bars plus the fact that the cable exits the back of one of them you'll need 800 from the wall to the front of the feet.

Total depth at 90 degrees is about 1030 to the front of the turntable locking knob if you're bothered about that overhanging the bench.

Latest posts

Back