Dewalt 621 / 622K router owners - help please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a slight problem with my 621K router that the little locking wing screw for the height adjuster isn't locking properly.

I had it in a table for a while so I was using the fine height adjuster that you can buy separately. I've started using it hand held now and I've noticed that I have to be careful when I plunge it or it slips and cuts deeper than I wanted.

I had a look at the hole for the screw and the thread itself looks ok but there looks to be something metal partially blocking the hole (we're talking a mm) and what I don't know is if this is meant to be there or if it's what's causing the problem. It's either that or the thread isn't cut properly in the hole. That should be easy to fix.

I had to get rid of the little spring that goes with the screw as I couldn't get it to work at all with that there and it kept pinging off - didn't want to lose it so took it off.

I've been in touch with the company I bought it from and they've been helpful and will send me a spare screw but I've already tried a different one with limited sucess. I don't want to have to send it off for something so minor.

I'm going to have another look at it tonight but I wondered if anyone else had had a similar problem or could perhaps look at their router and see if there's a similar 1mm blockage at the end of their hole?

Thanks,

Jennifer,

Hi Jen....here's the exploded view.... can you pick out the prob from this?

Or this link for larger pic + parts list....http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/images/diagrams/dw621-2.pdf

dw621-2.gif

Here.....

dw621_figure2.jpg

Often there is a small piece of brass or bronze between the stud (in your case part 57) and the part being locked (in your case part 99). This is to avoid damage (burrs). In your case this may be part 40, which is described only as 'Insert'. It's possible a piece has broken off and needs clearing (maybe with a needle).

Roy

Hi Roy,

I've had a good look just now and taken out the adjuster (part 99) and screwed the screw (part 57) all the way in and there doesn't appear to be an 'insert'. All it is is a hole & nut all the way through to the adjuster (99).

The nut (part 56) is loose and sometimes slides up into the casing and that is what I've seen 'blocking' the hole. When it slides up it doesn't go all the way up and so a bit can be seen blocking the hole. It needs tapping or shaking down.

I've given it a good try with both the screw and no spring and also with the spring and when the spring is in place the screw (57) won't lock at all, part 99 just slips down under light pressure, and when the spring is removed it 'locks' but only when really tightened, otherwise it too will move when the router is plunged.

I wonder if the problem is that I don't have this insert piece (40) to form a flat edge against the curve of the adjuster (99) to give the screw something to grip against and thus tighten properly?

Does your screw need such tightening to get it to hold?

EDIT: I've had another look and there's definitely no 'insert' piece (40). It looks like it can only fit in the small gap at the back of the nut (56). Is yours fixed in? I wonder if it could have fallen out at some point. I've always had a problem with the screw since new so it probably never had it.

Hi Jen. I'm afraid I'm not blessed with owning a Dewalt. Just a few cheapo jobs for me :oops:

If the nut (part 56) has fallen into the casing (part 41) then that suggests to me that the insert (part 40) has gone AWOL. The nut shouldn't be able to simply fall out of position unless something has moved / gone missing. I think the Insert is missing, but maybe a strip-down is the only way to be sure. I wonder if it can simply fall out when the rack (part 99) is removed.

We need somebody with a 621 to remove the knob (part 57) on theirs and tell us what they see :?

Come on you 621 owners......

Roy

Jen...

Reading your EDIT, I tend to agree that you've never had the insert, hence why you removed the spring so that the knob screwed in further to make contact.

Roy

Ok, thanks Roy. It does look like it would be possible for the insert to fall out on removal of the adjuster unless it's somehow fixed in place but that seems like a silly design if so!

Latest posts

Back