Devonwoody requesting computer help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new printer a month ago the Epson R300, used up a lot of ink and replaced the Lt. magenta cartridge with a compatible. The compat. worked OK but got a message each time telling me I was a naughty boy and did I want to continue using the compatible which I answered each time in the affirmative. Then the yellow ran out and I replaced with another compatible.
This time the printer will not accept the yellow and refuses to operate and the ink calulator dialogue is greyed out.
I did manage to do a test print (those dotted lines) manually pushing the buttons on the printer and the yellow and all colours work OK.

I can telephone Epson support tomorrow but am expecting trouble as I am using compatibles, so any outside advice would be helpful.

If you phone Epson regarding the problem I think they will tell you that you have invalidated your warranty by using compatibles.

First have a look at the setting and properties, their maybe a little box that you could check/uncheck that could help?

I use a small programme for my epson printer (Always used compatibles). Give it a try, it may help. Its free too :)

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Yes Nola, thats what I thought might happen. Oddly enough I put the Epson cartridge back in ( the one that is supposed to be empty) but everything is still playing up. Downloaded your freeware suggestion but R300 doesn't appear on the list. But wil investigate further.

Looks a useful program for everyone , thanks.

Hi Nola again.

I attempted to join the forum for the Epson section at that link you kindly posted.

However it appears to be a Russian Site. I have been given a password to to use but some of the digits are most probably russian emblems.
Firstly I dont know how to type those symbols and secondly should I back away?

I have never even looked at the forum to be honest, I didn't realise it was Russian, sorry :? Some of the posts seem to be in English, seems odd.

I have only used the software from there as its helped me a lot in the past.

I've had a poke around in the forum, devonwoody, there's far more English content in there and some of it seems very useful. There's a tip about resetting which might be worth a try.

Regarding the Russian characters, if you're on a Windows-based machine, fire up Character Map (charmap.exe) and have a poke around in there to see if you can match the symbols. Copy each one to a word processing programme (MS Word), then once you've got it sorted, copy it and paste it in where required. Perhaps you could change your password to something more manageable once logged in?

Come to think of it - presumably your password was sent to you by e-mail? You could copy it off that and paste it in to the log-in screen, then try to change it to English alpha-numeric password if allowed. If not, just copy/paste every time you need to.

Ray.

Devonwoody
I have the same printer, and from the first I have used compatible cartridges. My ink levels were grayed out as well, I did a reload of the software and now everything is working the way it should. It might be worth a try doing this on yours.

Drew

Thanks, that was an interesting morning wasn't it. Had me laughing the translation one.

Going to try argee suggestion.

Also telephoneing the ink supplier tomorrow and then Epson.

Did a reinstall (plus a systems restore) it did print once and then its gone haywire again.

Keep the help coming. :)

devonwoody":22e6c3u8 said:
Did a reinstall (plus a systems restore) it did print once and then its gone haywire again.

Keep the help coming. :)

But doesn't that mean that you're back where you started...software wise? Maybe you should have tried just doing a reinstall. BTW is that a reinstall of XP or Epson s/w?

I also tried that site and didn;t need any Russian at all to access and load the software...but as it didn't work with my ancient Stylus C42 I removed it. Shame..looked quite useful although have to confess I was a tad leary of loading some software where the provenance wasn't proven. Have to confess that I'm starting to get really paranoid about using a PC having just read one of the security releases about your computer being kyboshed just by viewing a jpeg.

Triggered by the fact that my MetMeter is now showing constant background activity over the Internet after loading this Russky program. We seem to spend all our time worrying whether our PCs are infected or not....and then running anti-virus or anti-spyware software ;just to make sure' that it hardly seems worthwhile persisiting with using a damn PC.....

Even went as far as looking at the cost of a Mac :lol: :lol:

RogerSinden. I only did an epson reinstall. Daren't even think about putting my Time reload disk in these days, now that they have gone. Ive got around 90gbs loaded on my hard drive so it would take me days to put even half of that back.

By the way tried the other month to buy a new computer with a windows disk from the large PC suppliers and there is not one around these days. All factory reloads etc.

Pleased to report an happy ending to my R300 epson printer problem. I telephoned the compatible ink supplier and they suspected a faulty cartridge and told me to put in a new yellow again. this time everything worked satisfactorly. (and they said they would post a replacement, did cost me a few hours though :twisted: )

Back