Developing a reducing square for dust extract.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a dust extract reducer for the rear of my compound saw. The stupid little round extract thats on the saw itself collects less than 5% of the saw dust.
The saw is mounted on it's own table and i want to make one out of 1/4 ply behind the saw so it collects the whole of the dust being shot out the rear of the saw.
I am sure there is a something on the internet where you put in you measurements and it tells you the angles. I have made a similar one for router table dust collection but that was a hit and miss affair.
If any one know of a website\ app that does it i would be happy if you could pass on that info.

cheers

You could always go back to base principles and draw it out to scale, on millimetre graph paper. All you'd then need are a pair of compasses, a couple of squares, a ruler, pencil and a protractor. That's how it was done when I was at school - no need for a computer

I found a couple of online apps but not the Pyramid one. None of them quite did what i wanted, either that or they were beyond me lol.

In the end i did it the old fashioned way, Made it out of cardboard to get my cutting sizes and shapes, took about 15mins.

TRITON
I think your right about the 5% lol.
Y

You can get something called a big mouth dust hood. Axminster sell them and theyre £20.

Pic+link
https://www.axminstertools.com/big-...MIl8iAlMmB8wIVgu_tCh201w8oEAQYASABEgLFUfD_BwE
200114_xl.jpg

Theres a fantastic video on youtube, i think it was called 'rollation' or something, where a yank makes square to round and other things out of sheet steel, I'll look for it

Ron covell, very good videos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-211513_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-211513_Chrome.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 7
Lol, i forgot to add, he sounds like stephen hawkins computer generated voice 🤣 😂
Now youve been told, you wont be able to get it out of your head!!

I have one of these at the back of my lathe. It's to tall really for my use, the slide rails of the saw will hit it, though i could cut a section out i suppose. I will certainly look at it though, thanks.

Quote link did not work??

I made a collection hood for my wood lathe out of an old plastic dustpan.
Wooden dowel taped to the handle and into a block of wood (lathe was mounted on a bench at the time but you could use a broom handle/etc). All coupled together with generous helping of duct tape and for basically £0, meant I kept my £20 for other more interesting things!

Looks like a household gutter down pipe hopper head, not exact but if needed (probably not needed) the much cheaper and readily availble hopper head could be readily adapted.
I've bought a hopper head to do this with my old De Walt radial arm saw. Not fixed it up yet. It cost about £8 from Toolstation.

I've bought a hopper head to do this with my old De Walt radial arm saw. Not fixed it up yet. It cost about £8 from Toolstation.

Had a look and it's to small for what i want, shame as the price is good.

Back