deux croissants please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Truciolara

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacques portal, amateur wood turner, has just finished these two crescents.

In its largest dimension it is 32 cm
The pine crescents are turned, then brushed our with a metallic brush mounted on the lathe to tear off the smoothest part of the wood, then burnt, then finished with tung oil.
The keep together thanks to the nylon thread.
You can see the same object from different angles buy clicking on the picture.

However he says: “I’d like to have your opinion, in particular your critiques to improve it, I have already some ideas about it but I’d like yours…
My answer to him was : “are you pulling my leg?”

Shame it has to be held together with nylon cord :oops:

Very arty , to me " and its my opinion only "

It must have taken ages to do and I look at it and say " What is it " ?

Its arty and its arty and it hummm

over to you

I think that it's fantastic.
It reminds me of a kite that I used to have that was held together using tensegrity.

For the object as a whole I see the chords as being the grain and growth rings which hold it together, much like existed in the original tree from which the timber came.

I don't know what the inspiration was for it but I get from it a message strength, security and support which can be found in a relationship, partnership or marriage. The charred and textured surface could be seen as a representation of the trials and hardships that we have to endure
Of course this could be far from what was intended.

I can't think of any improvements but I'd like to see any results if Jaques tries to improve on the idea.

Blister - I'd say it is an abstract sculpture. Does it have to be anything? Even if it was not intended to portray some sort of message surely it can have value just as a object of beauty (which admittedly will be in the eye of the beholder).

Blister":2s4tei35 said:
It must have taken ages to do and I look at it and say " What is it " ?

over to you
I think I will answer with a phrase from the know artist Jacques Vesery:

"It's not about what it is made of nor how it is made, it's about inspiration
of function that renders the soul which makes craft, "art".
Craft is based on functionality and spirituality is the basis of art."

:)

Am I allowed to say "Merde, elle est fantastique?"

One day, in the far distant future, maybe, I might, just, possibly, be able to do something like that. Trouble is by then I might be too old to hold a gouge.

As far as improvements go I have to agree with you Truc. " Are you pulling my leg?"

Pete

i think its stunning, dont know much about art, but i know what i like, and i like that a lot..

just one improvement, make one a different colour.

What functionality does it have, what can it be used for.if it has no known function then it has to be art. So its stuck up on a pedestel and viewed by people who can not deside what it is because it cant be used for anything only viewing. And some will say it's a work of art and spend enough money that would save thousands of starving kids all over the world. Then some one will notice that there are woodworms at one end and some moths are building a nest the other end.
It does look nice though. But how do you use it?. Regards Boysie

I think we have the makings of a 'debate' here.

Without art and aesthetically pleasing things in our lives that serve no other purpose than to make us feel good life becomes a drudgery of the mundane and the purely functional.

(IMHO)

Pete

Hi Pete,

Pete":35o0651p said:
Without art and aesthetically pleasing things in our lives that serve no other purpose than to make us feel good life becomes a drudgery of the mundane and the purely functional.

I agree whole heartedly with what you have said. (I only wish you had said it in English) :lol:

PS - I like it, wish I had the ability to make something like that. :(

TEP":g9i2zfqj said:
Hi Pete,

Pete":g9i2zfqj said:

I agree whole heartedly with what you have said. (I only wish you had said it in English) :lol:

PS - I like it, wish I had the ability to make something like that. :(

B***** h**l I like that, :lol:

Pete

Fantastic piece of work,but not to my tatste.Not what i call woodturning.
I would rather admire a nice piece of turning with a nice grain pattern.
Looks like some sort of futuristic stringed instrument to me.
Does it stand like that.If so how is it held up :?:
If i had to improve it i would use less nylon,and perhaps not make the nylon so obvious.

I like it a lot. Turning for me serves two purposes, one is making components and the other is making sculptural forms.
It reminds me of HR Giger, I see opposition and support in the shapes but it's hard to tell how it works from a picture. It's sinuous and slightly freaky. It's the sort of thing that makes me want to buy a lathe or work out another means of achieving the same thing.

Cheers Mike

I had been wondering If Jacques had been able to tame a few spiders in order to then ask them to weave the web.
The answer is no. He did it himself.
Jacques Portal being a very nice individual he even explains us how he does it:

"I start by keeping together the two crescents in their final position. The immobilization piece should be removed easily once the weaving is done. It is a square section wooden piece whose length is the distance between the 2 crescents, its section is equal to the thickness of crescents. 2 other wooden pieces immobilized on 2 opposite sides by serflex extend the square section pieces on both sides to cling the crescents. (for more visibility I replaced serflex by beautiful strings!).
For weaving, there are 2 strings networks : those who are tense between the 2 crescents tips and tend to move away one from other. And those who are tense between the wider parts of the 2 crescents and tend to bring them closer. A balanced tension is what matters. It's nice when a theory proves to be true, but there is always a small pinch at the heart of removing the scaffolding ...
I use 2 spools to alternately weave the string of each networks.
I start with the network that tends to bring the crescents closer, 2 round trips or 4 strings. Then the other network : 4 strings. Then ... and so on. Of course while weaving I try to keep a constant tension.
I end as I began, by a node.
I remove the immobilization piece ... holding my breath ..."

In France "serflex" is a brand which became a common name. As I have no clue on how you call such a device I join a picture of a serflex:lol:

breathe_1117101709_serflex.gif

I've been thinking about this construction every so often since you first posted it, could I come up with a solution? Could I 'eck! :oops:

Then one little photo to show the two pieces braced together for weaving, so easy when you know how. :wink:

May even have a go at something like this now I can see how it is done. :roll:

Still don't know what I would do with it here, but still great craftsmanship & technique IMO.

Back