Detail gouge, spindle gouge or mini tool.... What to get?!?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have recently started to turn small items such as pens, light pulls, spinning tops etc and I am finding it difficult to manoeuvre my traditional 3/8 (I believe) spindle gouge, this has lead me to search for something more suitable.

Now when I looked at what Axminster had to offer I noticed that they do a detail gouge by Henry Taylor (I think), the only difference I can see with a detail as opposed to a spindle gouge is that the detail has a shallower grind, will this make much difference to the manoeuvrability?

They also offer a mini spindle gouge which is 1/4" and has a shorter handle, would this be more suitable for what I want to do?

Thanks for looking!

Hi Adam I would first try a new grind on the spindle gouge maybe a finger nail if you do not have one all ready. Next ask another turner you know or club member to see where you are going wrong as a 3/8 spindle gouge should do the trick. Regards Roger

+1 for what Roger said - your 3/8 gouge should do all you need with the right grind.

Take a look at this video from Cindy Drozda on how she sharpens her spindle gouge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_KDSIDAtGc

- there's nothing special about her gouge, it's just a matter of the grind and it may give you some pointers as to what to try. The nice thing about her grind is that it's freehand and jig-free.

HTH
Jon

Hi

I agree with Roger, a 3/8" spindle gouge is my first choice for turning light pulls and tops, (tend to use a 1/2" oval skew for pens). Fingernail grind will be better suited though not essential. attention to tecnique can prevent the gouge fouling the lathe.

I only find the need to move to my Sorby micro tools for miniature work.

Regards Mick

that CD link is a very good, clearly demonstrated how to video.
even if the actual grind is not what one is after the the principles are well explained and can be adapted.
Thanks Jon.

I have a 3/4" oval skew which I like to use but I find it difficult to use it for roughing out. Personally I would say that I use a roughing gouge and spindle gouge the most often just because they are fairly easy to use and they get the results that I am looking for, however I'm sure the skew method would be much quicker and better for production runs so I may look into perfecting my technique for the future!

The only tool i use for pen turning is a 1/2 " flat skew that i have ground with a radiuse, I find the radiuse grind makes the tool a lot easier to use (not so many catches) (hammer)

A radius grind such as what captain Eddie shows? If so then I have got that on mine too!

I didnt notice much of a difference on the oval skew however it is quicker to do!

Latest posts

Back