Desperatly seeking Lime!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obraiche

Reaction score
I have spent the last week, and much phone credit, looking for some Lime. I have also emailed about five online suppliers with little result. Two got back asking about quantity and have not replied since.

Can anyone recomend a suplier of lime who would do a small order, par and deliver. Pref Yorks/Lancs but would consider further afield.

I am looking for about 10m @ 100mm x 25mm nominal. A couple of meters of 2" would also be handy.

It seems that there is quite a gap between individual peices way overpriced for "craft" work and large comercial orders. I seem to be stuck in it.

Yellow pine or Sugar pine might also suit if the price is right.

Any suggestions apreciated.

have you tried sykes in west mids? There is also associated timber in Lincs who were due to dry some lime in a couple of months- I enquired in early feb, so they might not be far off having some

Once upon a time I would have said try John Boddy's at Boroughbridge, but they seems to be cutting down on timber sales and concentrating on flooring these days.

You could try Danny Frost (Wigton, Cumbria) just in case he has some, but then it's not listed on his web site...

Must admit I have not seen lime boards mentioned on any of the suppliers sites I generally look at.

Hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon :roll:

Good luck!

Bob

I was in at Yandles a couple of weeks ago and there were several clean boards of lime standing in their self selection area and I know they will dispatch timber.

HTH

Rog

You could try Robbins in Bristol. They won't be cheap, but I've used them quite a few times and always had good experiences, and although they will sell you a lorry load, they also stress that they don't have a minimum order.
They do show some prices on their website http://www.robbins.co.uk though not for lime, but their list says this under 'additional hardwoods always in stock:'

American Lime
A light-coloured timber, varying from creamy-white to pale brown, with a
straight and fine grain. It is soft and light in weight, and ideal for cabinet
work where a fine finish is required.

Just looked at Yandles prices on their website and they are £36.00 per cubic foot for Air Dried Lime at 1.5" thick

Dusty

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, a few there I haven't tried.

For the record, Sykes are the only ones who have bothered to respond. To expensive though when machining and delivery added on. Shame about Boddys too!

Now considering getting it sawn only and machining it localy, or even squaring by hand. Long time since I have done that. Often seems a waste getting PAR only to carve the whole of one face off. Only realy needs squaring to machine the joints. One edge and one face would do.

I like the sound of the 1 1/2" from Yandles. Not that much more expensive than 1" elsewhere and ex 1" gets a little thiner than I would like.

I have never used American Lime, does anyone know how it compares with English/European? Finnishing as well as working?

Thanks again all.

If you want logs for carving purpose, have you tried any tree surgeons. They tend to have lumps of Lime around..

Just a thought. :)

Back