Desk construction/design question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently seen a picture of a desk called 'Flyt' designed by Samuel Chan for a company called Channels. Can anyone who is familiar with this design/construction explain how the legs are joined to the carcase?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Here's a link...
Flyt Table

Here's the table...
flyt_chan.jpg

It kind of looks like a box joint would on the legs--beyond that I haven't a clue.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply and the picture - it really is puzzeling me how the legs are jointed to the top rail and the rail to the desk top?

Cheers, Dave

are the legs and the rails screwed to the top ,but the rails are not fixed to the legs :?

It's a pretty minimal design isn't it? I think Mike is right re the box joint on the legs. If I were making it, I guess I would put a big triangular corner piece in the corners between the legs and the front and back rails and screw the top to that.

Am I right in thinking this is probably an IKEA thing? I have never heard of it but Googling Flyt produces a bunch of Swedish stuff about IKEA. I reckon that set up for production one could turn these out very fast.

Tim, Frank,
It could be as you say but then any slight sideways pressure would put a huge strain on the fixing arrangements and the rails would be pure decoration.

Hmm, looks to me like the top is floating above the leg frames, resting on the rails, otherwise would you be able to see the whole of the box joint from that angle? So I assumed the rails were attached to the legs with a half lap or summat.

Cheers, Alf

Chris":z44270af said:
Tim, Frank,
It could be as you say but then any slight sideways pressure would put a huge strain on the fixing arrangements and the rails would be pure decoration.

Didn't say it was a good design though! :wink:

I could be totally wrong and doing the designer a big misservice but it wouldn't be the first piece to hit the interior design world where form is more important than function.

Cheers

Tim

You know? I would not be afraid to cut the fingers to make up the stand and then half-lap the stretchers across the full width of the stand pieces, 2 small dowels through the lap and glue up with epoxy.

As thin as that top is and as large of a span, I would think it's shop made ply with decent show veneer and edgings all round. That would allow a manner of fixing it to the stretchers and stands that would greatly enhance the strength as a whole.

Geez, maybe I'll try that for the next spec piece.

Thanks for finding this, Dave.

Mike,

If you decide to have a go at making this desk - please keep us all informed of progress!

However, I have managed to find a picture of the desk in an old UK Home and Garden magazine... AND from what I can see it looks like the desk top sits on top of a rectangular frame - again constructed with figer joints and the frame jointed to to the top section of the legs. I suspect as you, using a lap joint, may be with biscuits??

I do know this design is not a knock-down piece! If I ever come across this design I think I should take a few pictures of it.

I love the simplicity of the design, but I have many reservations about how structurally 'sound' it can be!!

Cheers,

Dave

PS: All, this is not an Ikea 'thing' - it is sold by Channels furniture.

Mike,

A PS: The desk top is solid hardwood as is all the construction. It starts at £1895.00 in the UK. Expensive, but still a cool
looking piece.

Latest posts

Back