Designing Program

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Up until now, when designing a piece of furniture i have always used a technical drawing board, but recently i have been thinking about getting a program which will allow me to design these pieces on a pc.

The only trouble is as i have only started using a laptop/pc and the internet in the last year, i am not sure if i would be able to use these programs.
Are there any programs that are (1) easy to use?, (2) and as a client will see the printout, give professional results? (3) Looking at the size of a A4 sheet of paper, these look to small to show a client, so is the next step up an A3 printer?.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

I am a big fan of Sketch up and I know others have similar views about TurboCad and Solidworks (but I have no experience of either of them).

While Sketchup has its faults, what it does allow me to do is show complex projects esp built in stuff, kitchens etc to clients in a 'brought to life' way that Technical drawings often can't. It also allows me to change anything relatively easily.

Looking at the size of a A4 sheet of paper, these look to small to show a client, so is the next step up an A3 printer?.

I'm unable to comment on whether its as useful or as good as the other programs but I only print images at A4 or show them to clients on a laptop (you can easily create videos and tours of your drawings). Because its simple enough to put the furniture in context ie in a room or next to a figure, I haven't found a need to print any bigger than this and any details can easily be blown up or zoomed in on to show it clearly.

The only trouble is as i have only started using a laptop/pc and the internet in the last year, i am not sure if i would be able to use these programs.

Difficult to know because I don't know how comfortable you are with working from a screen but its pretty intuitive to use and it pretty much shows you as you go along. The tutorial vids are very helpful. I think its less technical than other drawing software and purists will tell you that its not really CAD. Personally I'm not bothered by that. What I wanted was a drawing program that I could learn quickly and use to communicate ideas clearly and professionally to clients. It does this really well. I do consider it to be one of my most important tools.

Don't know if this is helpful and I'm sure that someone else will be along to extol the virtues of other programs.

Cheers

Tim

Andy, Tim, thanks very much.

It just shows how new i am to the world of computers and what they can do. It never even dawned on me that i would be able to show the client my design without a piece of paper. I thought that the programs these kitchen designers use would cost mega bucks.

Thanks chaps i appreciate it.

Regards

Woody

Another vote for Sketch Up from me. I have tried learning AutoCad and TurboCAD in the past and not got on well with it. SketchUp I have picked up the basics in a few days, it's really easy to use. Download the trial and have a play with it. Their website contains some very useful videos too.

Back