Designer Tools anyone....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Mahon

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a firm beliver that you get what you pay for when it comes to tools, but I think I now have proof that that may not always be the case, I happened upon a "Motorcycle ToolKit" in the window of the Prada shop in Milan a few days ago.... €640 for 6 spanners, an adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, 3 screwdrivers and most importantly a pair of Prada cotton gloves, all wrapped in a lovely designer Prada tool roll.

Even for *extremly* good quality engineering spanners this seems to be driven more by brand name than actual quality!

Good Luck
Les

I am a firm beliver that you get what you pay for when it comes to tools

This is the old "all herrings are fish" but not vice versa thing.

All good tools are expensive.

But not all expensive tools are good.

(I'll leave the definition of expensive as an exercise for the class)

BugBear

Hi Les

If you'd found the Ferrari shop you could have bought the same thing, but in red, for a mere 9,999 euro. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Actualy I saw the Ferrari Garage in Monaco (been floating around europe for the last month!) - now that would be money well spent, real dream on country!

Remember when the McLaren F1 super car was launched?? One of the many "designer touches" was a ditty little tool roll containing a nice wee set of wrenches, plyers etc, things yer average owner will never dream of using in anger... All made from... titanium to keep the weight down... Cost... £250,000 for the set... butchya gets a free car with it :wink:

If the tool roll was £250k, the car still cost you £390k.

Jake

One of the many "designer touches" was a ditty little tool roll containing a nice wee set of wrenches, plyers etc, things yer average owner will never dream of using in anger... All made from... titanium to keep the weight down... Cost... £250,000 for the set..

You got rather more than that...and it was inclusive so I'm not sure where you got your figure from,

"Each McLaren F1 was delivered to its new owner with a TAG–Heuer watch with the serial number of the car engraved on the face, a goldplated Facom all–titanium tool–kit, a full–size Facom mechanic’s rollaround tool chest, matching hand–crafted luggage trimmed to match the chosen color of the driver’s seat, the usual service and owner’s handbooks, and a track day at Bruntingthorpe proving grounds in Leicestershire, England,.... "

Gold plated tools??? :shock:

Now you've gone and done it - ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the ultimate cure for rust appearing on your tools - get them gold plated!!! :D :D

I present you with the ultimate cure for rust appearing on your tools - get them gold plated!!!

With the exception of a certain hammer, until someone starts making titanium planes. :shock:, I suppose one will just have to make do with gold...terribly vulgar though. :roll:

Back