Design Work for a client, help required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to design a new line of furniture for a ecclesiastical supplier. I have done some sketches for them, and they want me to go ahead and start making. But they would like some form of cad/sketchup representation, I have tried to do this with sketchup but have had no luck. To be honest I am struggling with curved drawing on SU, so the time limit is running out and now I need someone to either help me with the drawing or do it for me and I will pay for their time. Here is one of the sketches, It would be in American ash.

DSC00908.jpg

mtr1":2i0pos5g said:
...they would like some form of cad/sketchup representation...

I have to admit that I am always wary of a customer that asks for orthographic projections, although that may not be what they are asking for, and perhaps what they are really after is a presentation drawing.

I never give working drawings to a customer because the general public mostly don't understand them, although architects, interior designers, furniture makers, etc do. I've found it's sometimes a sign that the customer wants to shop around with your working drawings for an alternative quotation. I hope this is not the case for you, and perhaps I am being overly cautious, or it's even possible that over the decades in the business I've developed a suspicious streak.

I provide copies of presentation drawings, or even originals sometimes, but dimensioned orthographic projections remain firmly in my possession, unless the customer is willing to buy them.

I may be barking up the wrong tree. Slainte.

They are just after an artist's impression on sketchup/cad, so they can show it to the director(my rough sketches just won't cut it). I would never give them a working drawing, but to be honest if they took it to a cabinetmaker he/she would be able to make one regardless of me providing one. I can, as I'm sure you can also.

mtr1":2kru99l6 said:
They are just after an artist's impression on sketchup/cad, so they can show it to the director(my rough sketches just won't cut it).
I suspected as I typed that your request was to come up with a presentation drawing rather than an orthographic projection, hence my suggestion that I might be "barking up the wrong tree". Slainte.

Thanks Steve.

Richard I do appreciate your words of wisdom as always, you have been doing this far longer than me. 8)

Back