design help ideas needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi all, can any one give me some ideas on what i could use for a unique look on some kitchen and wardrobe doors i,m making for a narrowboat
the doors are american white oak beveled scribed styles and rails and its the panel thats giving me grief,i thought about something contrasting veenered ply of some kind thanks jd 8) :?

Boats and wood work :D my favorite subject :lol: Raised panels out of solid timber would be my choice but for keeping the weight down maybe veneered ply , not mdf for a boat . If its a scribing kit you have ie the rebate is cut with the mould you'll need to redo the rebate as veneered ply is 1mm larger than the rebate supplied on the cutter set .
More info will get more replies from me :lol:
Maple has a nice grain that will contrast with oak .

hi , yes i agree raised panels would be nice but i,m trying to keep it simple as there is about 30 doors of all diferant sizes on the boat.
veenered ply is was i thought but which one ? ive googled but cant find anything that is shown in contrast with a w o .is there any ply out there with a burr veener ?

Burl is a veneer , well its the part of the tree that has lots of shoots so its in short supply so its made into veneer although i will be proven wrong by someone else on the forum :lol: Burl walnut is the most famous as its in most car dashboards , but to get a whole 1200x2440 sheet ? You can get burl in any timber as its a natural thing . Why do you want to contrast it ? Oak doors look great .

A question on the white oak. Will you be staining it or leaving it natural? I agree walnut burl veneered ply would look sharp with a natural colored white oak frame but only if the grain in the oak isn't too wild.

Altough it would be more work for you, you might consider book matched veneers on plywood. You could select a pile of veneers--enough for all your door-- from the same tree and glue up the panels for each door with them.

you might also consider staining the frames dark and using a lighter wood such as maple. Some exotic such as padauk would be good against natural oak.

The reason for contrasting is that all the boats walls are framed oak with oak ply and the ceiling is oak t&g so theres alot of it on there in a cabin lenth of 43 foot.
all finished in a clear satin, lets look at it another way what woods compliment oak? is there any other www.s that show photos of other peoples work to try and get ideas :?: ive even looked at kitchen manufacturers but they dont mix woods

Jayd: If you are wanting an authentic look for your craft I cant imagine any modern kitchen unit supplier or gear ever keeping with the period of your boat.

I would myself have gone down the trditional route which might be sparse or high quality handwork and painting.

the boat will have a contempory feel to regarding the fittings proposed i,m trying to get a wow factor.there is an awful lot of boats out there with quality woodwork but they all look the same .just by changing the door panels should just help the look to create a unique design....but which veneer?

Hi jayd,

Have a look at this site - loads of pictures and very easy for rapid review. Lots of goodies :)

I quite liked the chestnut burr myself.

Thanks for the advice,i think i,m going with pippy oak .to get the price right ive got to order 4 x 8x4s i only need two , is anyone interested in asheet of 6mm mdf pippy oak with a white oak backer let me know about£130 each

Back