Design advice welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finally made some progress with a workbench that I've been building for absolute ages and would welcome doe advice on some drawer pulls. The issue is I have a very thin gap between the front of the drawers and the back of the sliding deadman (only about 10mm) so normal pulls won't work. I am reluctant to have any holes pass a lll the way through the drawer fronts as I'd like to prevent any saw dust from getting in there, as much as possible.

Does anyone have any examples of something suitable they could post.

Pics below. Thanks

Bench%201.jpg
[/URL]

Bench%202.jpg
[/URL]

I have some brass single finger ring pulls in the shed somewhere, they would look nice against the walnut.

Pete

I think those brass pulls will look lovely on those drawers. But more to the point, any build threads for that bench and/or more pictures. Looks lovely.

Flush inset handles, like this:

traditional-cabinet-and-drawer-handle-pulls.jpg

Made in the same wood as your legs/apron perhaps.

Or these in metal.

Bench looks beautiful and substantial =D>

Attachments

• traditional-cabinet-and-drawer-handle-pulls.jpg
    traditional-cabinet-and-drawer-handle-pulls.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 313
phew there's a bench!
Can it make a cup of tea?

No but seriously - it's always a good idea to look at the hardware early on (knobs, hinges, catches etc), and if necessary design around it. That's my design advice.
Perhaps get rid of the deadman thing? They don't do anything useful which can't be done with a short length of scrap leaning up against the apron. Except you haven't got an apron; design fault no 2.
No3 is that the deadman will stop you opening drawers, if it's actually in use. Not a good place for drawers. Even without the deadman the workpiece could obstruct the drawers.
Shelves with sliding doors is the answer! I knew we'd get there!

That's a cracking bench =D>

How about a leather pull strap for drawer handles/pulls, assuming the drawers glide easily. They would just flop down so the dead man can slide by unhindered.

Thanks for the kind words chaps and appreciate the suggestions. I had thought about ring pulls but wasn't sure whether they would necessarily work with the existing hardware.

Jacob: numerous design flaws in this bench. The whole project has spanned over many years (for a variety of reasons) and the design has evolved significantly since I first started it with plenty of compromises. This has largely been driven by me seeing the Benchcrafted hardware (long after I started the bench) and deciding that that was the way I wanted to go. For those who have been tempted by the Benchcrafted stuff I highly recommend it. Its not cheap but the quality is outstanding. I have always found that the pleasure high quality tools bring me is significant and these bench vices are no exception.

Dimmaz88: The fronts are about 20mm thick. Thought about routing a pull along the top edge and still tempted by that idea. Anyone done something like this? I'd love to see some examples and/or technique ideas.

n0legs: I like the idea of leather pull straps. I'd not thought of that even though I currently have some temporary duct tape doing a similar thing. Will look into that. Thanks.

sjalloq: Sadly I didn't take any WIP photos along the way. Certainly should have. I'll post some photos later on today of how things currently stand for those that are interested. Very happy to share my "what not to do when building/designing a bench" thoughts if there is anyone about to start one.

Thanks again

My ring pulls where set into 18mm draw fronts so they will fit in your draws, give me a shout if you want them and I will dig them out for you.
They are just sitting around doing nothing so you can have them for nothing.

Pete

As promised here are a few pics of the bench. Not finished yet and if history is anything to go by it will remain a work in progress for a good time to come.

As well as drawer pulls I also need to make a decision on what finish to put on it. It is a combination of steamed/unsteamed beech (what I had). Any suggestions on a finish most welcome.

bench2%201.jpg
[/URL]

bench2%202.jpg
[/URL]
bench2%203.jpg
[/URL]

bench2%204.jpg
[/URL]

bench2%205.jpg
[/URL]

bench2%206.jpg
[/URL]

Racers: Very kind offer indeed. Many thanks. I think first I'm going to try and cut some recessed drawer pulls into a test piece and see how they look. Perhaps if you have a moment you could post a picture of your brass pulls.

Lovely Flikr stream by the way. The countryside pics in the snow up near Nottingham?

Mar_mite: You're very kind but I suspect my poor photography glosses over a lot of the mistakes. Have to say I've learnt a huge amount building this bench. A huge improvement on what I was using before and a real joy to work at.

Thanks noddy

The snow ones are taken at Dorket head just out side Nottingham.

The ring puls are the same as the long posted they need a polish.
I don't want anything for them.

Pete

Back