Design advice welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noddy67":20kyhu5p said:
... sliding deadman ...

You're using a simple dowel in your deadman, and (of course) you get height adjustment
by moving it between holes. The finest height adjustment is (of course) the spacing
of the holes.

If you make something like this, you can get a "half space" adjustment by simply rotating it.

half.jpg

The blue block is simple centred on the yellow dowel, that is sized to suit
the deadman. The red block is exactly HALF the size of the spacing between your holes.
Thus, rotating the block alters the height of the upper surface by half-a-hole.

In practice, of course, you simply put the dowel at an offset in a 1 piece block,
but the 2 block exposition seem clearer.

BugBear

Attachments

• half.jpg
    half.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 116
Graham Orm and n0legs thank you for the kind words.

Dimmaz88 Thanks for the link. I had thought about doing something along those lines with the hand pulls at the bottom to avoid any dust buildup. I've run a few test pieces but the issue I'm having is the clearance is very tight for the bottom drawer as the runner for the deadman sits quite proud. The only way it would work would be to make it a pretty large and pull and I'm concerned that would spoil the look of the drawer.

Now if only I'd thought of all of these issues in the numerous hours of the design phase...

bugbear good idea. Will do something like that at some point.

Racers Pete if you are still happy to pass on six of those brass ring pulls then I'd love to take you up on it. Ket me know and I'll pm you the details. Thanks again.

Back