Dentil Moulding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cordy

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to try my hand at making a book-case and found THIS excellent article by Roger M

Dentil Moulding ? - never heard of it; tried to make a similar jig
Half inch ply, 16 mm cheapo router bit, 30 mm between grooves

3X3tpoah.jpg

Saw this video that gave me the idea
Test on scrap 1" planed Redwood

Ew4flIPh.jpg

Used round-over top and bottom

d4znAdIh.jpg

Only a novice at woodwork :oops: I can't work out what router cutter John Shorba used to get the nice curve at around 4 minutes
The up-hill didn't work for me in table :cry: so I just routed as per normal -- right to left which is fine

Decided on this, 0.5 inch cutter; .75 inch between grooves; timber 0 .75 wide x 1.9 inches x 3 ft

zcFP6h4h.jpg

Qe8388rh.jpg

OXv8IQyh.jpg

Can't see it well, but where the bottom of the dentils is routed it seems like an ogee shape would work?

Cheers Naz
Have now decided to use the moulding that's resting on our wheelie bin :)

I was hoping folk might post alternative Dentil Moulding jigs and ideas
Not much info on the internet :(

Much prefer table routing to free-hand

No, a router table. Run the wood onto a flat bottomed cutter, the move it the required distance and repeat - you'd be putting the moulding on the face of the timber, not the bottom. It would just reverse the flat and the round of your piece - looking again at your first pic. just like that but with the wood held upright.The jig wouldn't actually be any different, maybe just a bit higher.

Another use for D/M -- fitted French Cleat on back
Birthday present for 10 year old Niece

kBHRFnph.jpg

Dentil Mouldings 001.jpg
Dentil Mouldings 003.jpg
Dentil Mouldings 004.jpg

The above shows some of my methods of adding the mouldings.
I prefer to make the dentil segments in about a 100mm wide strip and the slice them off as required, a cross cut RA saw makes the 3mm grooves. The larger box core shapes are made with a router cutter and a welded bracket that mounts the router on the cross cut saw in place of the blade.

Attachments

• Dentil Mouldings 001.jpg
    Dentil Mouldings 001.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 109
  • Dentil Mouldings 002.jpg
    Dentil Mouldings 002.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 103
  • Dentil Mouldings 003.jpg
    Dentil Mouldings 003.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 109
  • Dentil Mouldings 004.jpg
    Dentil Mouldings 004.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 109
Mike Jordan":3uzeuh3d said:
The larger box core shapes are made with a router cutter and a welded bracket that mounts the router on the cross cut saw in place of the blade.
Would love to see a picture of that, or a video of it at work :)

Dentil Mouldings 005.jpg
Dentil Mouldings 006.jpg

The bracket drops onto the bolt used to hold the blade guard and is secured with the nut that holds the saw blade in place.
You can get a similar effect using a ply template and cramp but this is quick and easy when doing a number of cuts.

Attachments

• Dentil Mouldings 005.jpg
    Dentil Mouldings 005.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 55
  • Dentil Mouldings 006.jpg
    Dentil Mouldings 006.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 55
I think its possible to buy a bracket but that one is all me own work guv ! Its not pretty but the paint makes the welds look much better.
Mike.

Good stuff Mike, nicely done. I keep teasing myself with the thought of a RAS but I can't really justify it. I don't need more tools I need more skills! Having said that I am keeping a certain space free in my shop for a lathe (one day).

Back