Dense wood selection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idris

Reaction score
I'm looking for a dense / heavy wood with a relatively light colour, and the sort of thing I'm likely to be able to source in thicknesses of around both 3/4" and 2".

Any recommendations?

The heaviest and densest native timber that's light in colour wot I can think of is hornbeam, and available from Wests at Petworth (I think) in goodly dimensions - Rob

I was very suprprised to find Hornbeam commercially available Rob as it rarely achieves tree size, makes a good hedge, and the wood is as hard as hell!

Roy.

Digit":kjya4wdt said:
I was very suprprised to find Hornbeam commercially available Rob as it rarely achieves tree size, makes a good hedge, and the wood is as hard as hell!

Roy.
Agreed Roy, but although I've not been to West's, I have heard that's it's available in decent sized boards...about 50lbs/cu' if memory serves, which is a tad heavier :-" than oak - Rob

The biggest piece needs to be about 16" x 16" x 2".
On reflection I should possibly have described the coulour I'm after (with or without staining) is a slightly orangey yellow. (Reaches for pantone chart ... :roll:)

If you want orangey colour, Acacia/Pseudacacia (Robinia) is pretty dense. But like hornbeam, doesn't usually come with trunk diameters much over a foot. Could the piece be edge jointed?

Thanks for the advice. I shall see what the saw mill can come up with.
DickM - I'd rather not.

Back