Demi lune table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while since I updated this, but I'm pleased to say I've finished the table.

After lots of umming and ahhing, I decided to go with a stain and French polish finish. I wasn't sure about it but decided that an oiled oak finish would look a bit modern for our house. Because I wasn't sure, I decided to stain and polish the top first because that would be the easiest part to remake if I didn't like it.

I chose van dyke crystals for the stain and ran some test pieces. The stain went on fine, although I tried to be too clever by pre-sealing (shellac) some of the end grain on the edge so that it wouldn't get too dark. That worked OK but I ended up contaminating the top surface a bit which caused some blotches. I tidied them up as best I could and they aren't too noticeable unless you look closely, so I can live with that.

I really enjoyed having a go at French polishing. I didn't fill the grain so wasn't looking for a "piano" finish, but I was really pleased with how it came out. I'd definitely do it again on other projects.

Happy with the look, I decided to do the rest. I stained the individual parts and put on some base costs of shellac before doing the glue up. I didn't want glue squeeze out to spoil the stain.

Here is the finished table in its final home (click on the pictures for better quality photos). I'll leave it a little while for the polish to harden, but I think it will look great with a vase of flowers on it.

IMG_7680.jpeg

IMG_7681.jpeg

IMG_7682.jpeg

IMG_7684.jpeg

IMG_7683.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7680.jpeg
    IMG_7680.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7681.jpeg
    IMG_7681.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7682.jpeg
    IMG_7682.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7684.jpeg
    IMG_7684.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7683.jpeg
    IMG_7683.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 150
Very nice to have followed this from start to finish, and interesting to share your thoughts, so thanks for posting. It looks lovely.

Really nice job. I like the beading and teh moulding at the bottom of the apron. Personally I prefer the lighter oak but you have to take your setting etc into account.
Like it a lot

Hornbeam":2069lz4n said:
Really nice job. I like the beading and teh moulding at the bottom of the apron. Personally I prefer the lighter oak but you have to take your setting etc into account.
Like it a lot

Thanks Hornbeam. That beading was definitely a good finishing touch.

I like lighter natural oak as well, but I think for our house (a listed Georgian/Victorian mash up), and taking into account other furniture we have, the stained and polished look works is right. I also really enjoyed researching and learning something new (staining, but especially the polishing). I've now got beautifully shellacked finger nails which is a bonus!

Back