Delta X5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek.

This is what I understand. The US electric 230/240 is 60 cycles and the UK 230 is 50 cycles. I think this would mess up a nice machine.
I am not 100%sure on this but I am sure that someone will come along soon and put me stright if I am wrong. :D
By the way, what are you doing up so late? Ever hear about needing beauty sleep. :oops:
Travis

I have just bought an X5 Unisaw that has had the motor swapped out at the Delta factory for one that is suited to the UK 240V 50Hz UK electricity supply.

Jeff

Derek

I'm pepared to be corrected here, but my understanding is that with the frequency difference between the US and UK the machine with a frequency of 60Hz will run approximately 10% slower in the UK. Eventually this will damage the motor windings.

If you can get one with a frequency of 50Hz then all the better.

I'm sure the experts will be aong soon.

Derek
If you reallywant a Delta then Dan Holton is the man to speak to-he imports them fromDelta already specc-ed with UK motors.
PM me for his phone number if you are interested.
Alternatively, Xcaliber is the real deal for a lot less and is available here in the UK
Hope this helps
Philly :D

As Jeff has mentioned the factory will throw in a 50Hz motor for about $100. With shipping, EU import tax and vat you should end up with it sitting in your shop for less than £2K.

Noel

looking at the cost of the tools on this site they are paying in dollars what we pay the same for in pounds. Look at the Jet JWBS18 for example and free shipping to anywhere in the US. Yet another example of ripp off Britain.

David, much as I empathise on the bang per buck value that the American seem to enjoy I'm not sure it's a valid comparison. As has been said in the past the UK and North American markets are so different in size, woodworking culture and buying habits that comparisons are, to some extent, worthless. If you use the Big Mac comparison (ie purchasing parities) our US friends regard the value of a dollar note much the same as we value a pound note. As exchange rates are more an indicator of a particular country's economic performance rather than a direct value of a single product, comparisons between here and the US do not stand up. Allied to this, factor in manufacturing economies of scale, increasing willingness for US manufacturers to source overseas (indeed it won't be long before Unisaw components are all made in Taiwan) and the US buying public's slow but steady realization that clinging to the "Made in USA" mantra does not make economic sense.
Sure, I'm as keen as anybody to see $ for £ prices here but can't see it happening. I had hoped at one time that the EU would become a single trading entity that would rival the North American market but with so many disparate taxation rates etc and a lack of unity, it'll be sometime, if ever, before Europe can get it's act together. And we can't forget about China and India, the next two superpowers.

Noel, talking away above his weight.

davidc1075":1yshld5b said:
looking at the cost of the tools on this site they are paying in dollars what we pay the same for in pounds. Look at the Jet JWBS18 for example and free shipping to anywhere in the US. Yet another example of ripp off Britain.

Here, Here.

Derek.

Latest posts

Back