Delta Boss spindle sander help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter, check that it is a machine with a 50hz motor ie was sold for use in UK/Europe. If it has a 60Hz motor then it will likely run hot on Uk 240v50Hz. I had this problem with a delta planer and ended up running it from a transformer on about 210v 50Hz.

Both the running voltage and the speed of an induction motor is proportional to the frequency. Some motors are designed for dual frequency but rarely will the Chinese motors used by Delta be of this type.

As for ammunition, the BOSS drums are imperial and might be difficult to source in UK but with your US contacts should not be a real problem.

Bob

You might be able to get hold of some Carroll drums and fit them instead then you can use plain sandpaper off the roll giving a wide choice of grits and no supply problems for the consumables?
Bob

Having googled this sander it appears to be similar but better quality to the Triton, Charnwood, Rutland et al sanders on the market

They have rubber bobbins of different diameters with sleeves that fit over bobbin. The paper sleeve is secured to the bobbin by the top nut on the machine shaft which when tightened slightly expands the rubber to secure the paper.

The sleeves are readily available in different grits. If the machine does not have them you only need to source the bobbins (or make some up on the lathe if you can source suitable rubber)

If push comes to shove you could always turn wooden bobbins and secure the sleeves with a spot of Cyanoacrylate

I have three Carroll drums a 5" and 3" with a 30mm bore which fit on the spindle and a 3" with a shaft designed to fit in the chuck of a pillar drill I personally do not think they would be suitable for your machine but possibly could be adapted

The plus for these types of machine is the smaller diameters that can be sanded

Carroll certainly used to make drums specifically designed for oscillating spindle sanders around 100mm long as well as drill mounted ones.

Bob

I noticed some-time-back a firm in Manchester called Tone Tech stopped selling their drum sanders - after Axi had stopped, too. Secondhand seems a best bet, when they become available. If they have gone its a damn shame.

Myfordman":37ke1bd4 said:
There is a rather strange link to Kate Carroll here http://www.construction.co.uk/c/494979/ ... -tools-ltd
Just an address with a Peterborough postcode and no phone or email

The last time I bought anything form Carroll I'm sure it was a London outskirts address and it was Kate I dealt with.

Bob

They were in Factory Lane, Croydon but moved somewhere upt North

Hi Peter

I have a boss spindle sander with a 75mm bobbin. The gear mechanism has a metal shaft with a nylon gear attached by split pin. Unfortunately mine overheated and melted the gear.... I have tried to replace by contacting the USA but unsuccessfully to press.
I have some Charnwood rubber bobbins and sleeves which I bought and have since sat in a drawer .... Everything on the machine works perfectly except the gearing... I'm prepared to sell the bits, the machine for spares or both for £30

carbo":xmwlcx3k said:
Hi Peter

I have a boss spindle sander with a 75mm bobbin. The gear mechanism has a metal shaft with a nylon gear attached by split pin. Unfortunately mine overheated and melted the gear.... I have tried to replace by contacting the USA but unsuccessfully to press.
I have some Charnwood rubber bobbins and sleeves which I bought and have since sat in a drawer .... Everything on the machine works perfectly except the gearing... I'm prepared to sell the bits, the machine for spares or both for £30

Thanks, I might take you up on that. I need to make an offer for the sander and some other kit and see where we go from there.

Cheers Peter

I've had a Boss for quite some time. Soon after I bought it I was speaking to Carroll and they offered to drill a couple of their Spindle drums to fit the BOSS, a 50mm and a 75mm which seem to be the sizes I use the most. Both sander and drums are great bits of kit.

Back