Delta 40570, C or Parallel arm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippet

Established Member
Reaction score
Having looked at the specifications of the Delta 40570 scroll saw, I am still unsure whether it has a C or Parallel arm system. :?

Does anybody out there know?

Hi Whippet

Hobbies of Dereham describes the saw as having a "Parallel arm design to hold blade vertical", so yes - the arm is parallel and not a 'C' type.

Gill

Hi Whippet,

I have that the 40-570 model. It's very smooth in operation and is well made and finished. The quick-change blade tensioner system is excellent. Despite its heavy mass, it still needs to be solidly fastened to a sturdy base to remove excessive vibration at the highest speed. Although my scrollsaw skills are limited so far, it's a fine piece of kit that I'm sure would stay trouble free for a very long time.

cheers,

Ike

Cheers Ike!
I was hoping an owner would let me know how they run. Sounds impressive, especially as I've found one at my local builder's merchants for £178. I think this is quite cheap.
I was considering an Axminster at £239, but like the comfort of the Delta dealer being only 10 mins away should anything go wrong! :?
Pay day today, might go and have another look :wink:

Definitely a safe bet to buy one methinks.

That's a very competitive price, probably cos it's an outgoing model I think. I paid £199 a year ago from D&M for mine. I think it was. Sounds a lot for a scrollsaw but the quality is much nearer to Hegner than anything else, and still considerably cheaper if one can't afford a Hegner.

Don't quote me please, I'm a mere beginner with scrollwork. Gill is our resident expert and fountain of knowledge on the subject.

cheers,

Ike

ike":alinczs1 said:
Gill is our resident expert and fountain of knowledge on the subject.

:oops: Thanks, Ike, but I just muddle along and pick up bits of info as I go. There's nothing like the opinion of someone who's actually used the saw - and I haven't.

Whippet - Delta saws have a good reputation on the 'Murrican scrollsaw forums and the 40-570 shouldn't disappoint. Don't forget to buy some spare blades too!

Gill

Well, it was too tempting and I bought the Delta 40570. They knocked another £10 off so I paid £168 in the end. Also, because it came with only 1 blade, the kind man dug around in the stock room and gave me a bunch of spiral blades for free (he said they hadn't had any interest in them). I've read about them, I think it was Gill who posted saying that they blunt easily and are a bit wide. But they'll do for free :)
I also bought some blades, the only ones they stocked were Eclipse 71-FS5R...not sure what this means!
I'm very confused about blades, I want to make jigsaws with lots of wiggles, and no big gaps between pieces. I've read that people use 0.008 or 0.009 size blades but I'm not sure what my Eclipse blades size is. Does anybody know what 71-FS5R means? :?
I'm arranging my work space in the sun room tomorrow...can't wait to get going :D

Woo-hooo :D !

Congratulations, Whippet! I hope you and your new friend will have a long and happy association 8) :) . I can't wait to see what you produce together, especially if you're looking to make jigsaws. Have you seen the works of Carter Johnson? Now there's inspiration for you. Carter is extremely helpful and welcomes enquiries from fellow scrollers who are learning how to make jigsaws.

Now we move onto the thorny topic of blades... :?

I've never used spiral blades myself - normal blades work fine for me, so why change a winning team? Some people swear by spirals but others find they have a tendency to follow the wood grain too easily; furthermore, they find them too thick, and they find it difficult to stop cutting under control. By this, I mean that when you use conventional blades you simply withdraw the wood away from the cutting edge of the blade if you wish to stop cutting. With spirals, of course, this is much more difficult to control. I would strongly suggest that a newcomer to scrolling should try out conventional blades before attempting to use spirals.

The Eclipse blades sound like they are size 5 and the letters will indicate the arrangement of the teeth. If you want to know more about different blade types and choosing a blade, have a look at Mike Moorlach's Flying Dutchman (FD) site. You can order FD blades from Mike and they're justifiably popular. Normally, he ships to the UK very promptly but I understand WiZeR recently experienced some difficulties. Another source of blades is Hegner, who ship from the UK and who recently delivered an order to me within 48 hours.

Cutting very fine jigsaw puzzles requires very fine blades and the Eclipse blades will not be suitable. Carter Johnson uses #8/0 Jewelers blades from Sloans (who do not, unfortunately, ship overseas) plus blades from Mike Moorlach. I understand that Carter's blades rarely last longer than 2 or 3 pieces! If you want to know more about cutting jigsaws, I think it'd be a good idea to start a new thread. However, it's a rather complicated technique to truly master, so have fun getting to know your new saw first and cutting some more rudimentary shapes. It's all about learning to walk before you run ;) :).

Gill

Back