delta 36525 or ferm FZT250N ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I`m in the market to buy a new tablesaw soon (out goes the £100 clarke jobbie!).

The 2 choices I`m looking at are the delta and ferm saw stated in the subject title.

The question is this........ induction or not? at the moment the clarke saw that i have is extreamly noisy and vibrates SO much that i have to bolt it to the floor everytime i start it!

the delta is 1.5hp and the ferm is 1100W, so the powers of each saw are roughly the same size, the delta does have a better cut depth, but I`m not sure about the "quietness" of the delta`s dc motor.

The ferm has a 16mm (5/8') arbour and I THINK the delta has the same (I`ve emailed rutlands asking them) but if anyone knows for sure......

anyone got any comments about either saw? is the delta quiet?

I`m tempted towards the delta purely because of the name/build quality.

many thanks to everyone who posts on this forum, I`ve only been a member for a day but already I`ve learnt loads!!

My line of buisness is IC design for the comms industry, but i also build pc s regularly and am qualified in electronic engineering to degree level. If anyone ever has any electrical problems (power tool related or not) I`d be glad to lend advice/help from a technical/theoretical point of view. :D

The delta doesn't have an induction (quiet) motor. I have the FTZ 250 - And I like it - If I had the room I would also like a FTZ 250N.

You can read my review on this site...

Ive had a look at both saws in friends workshops in the past. Out of the two I think the delta is a better saw. For one thing it has a mitre fence that doesnt rattle in its slot. The delta sounds angry, but with a decent blade, does give a better cut than the firm.
The cheepest place i have seen the delta is rutlands.

Cheers
Doughnut

I have the Delta saw. Purchased from D&M Tools at their show at Epsom, September time. Cost was about £230.
Not yet used it too much, but so far very good. The fence is very sturdy ( and the extension tables are great for the extra width of cut. I would confirm one of the previous comments about noise though. It is noisy when starting, gives quite a kick. But once running is very stable, no vibration.

I have heard that Delta are not happy with Rutlands as they may be buying grey imports and that Toolbank (linked with D&M Tools) are the only official importer of Delta products to the UK. May be worth checking out.

Best of luck. :)
Steve

i am in the unfortunate possition of living in a quiet col-de-sac where noise is`nt really appreciated that much (my neighbours a lovely people, and i don`t really want to upset anyone).

therefore i don`t use any power tools after 6PM. BUT my clarke table saw is stupidly loud and i feel really guilty everytime i use it.

I`m very tempted by the delta (as I have heard it is a really good saw) but I am alittle worried about noise

I also notice that the delta website does`nt have ANY details of the saw *worrying* apart from its name and code (no pictures or anything).

If like you say rutlands aren`t going to be selling the delta for much longer, and the normal price is 240 pounds, then I`m starting to be swayed towards the induction-motor-clad ferm (nearly 100 pounds less).[/quote]

just a quick note about noise.

When you fiorst switch a saw on, an induction motor is quiter than a brush motor, but when wood hits metal, its a whole different ball game.

The point I am trying to make is that in use, a good saw with a brush motor will be quiter than a bad saw with an induction motor.

Doughnut

anything has be quieter than my existing saw.

most induction motors are more "torquey" than their dc counterparts (of the same power)..............

I think I`m set on the ferm, after all I`m only a beginner, and the budget is quite tight.

I also have a mate who owns a good metal-working shop who says that he`ll be able to either strengthen or make me a new fence for the ferm saw if the existing one is`nt good enough.

I think out of the two the Delta is the sturdier machine. I’ve seen it at ww shows before and apart from the bush motor it’s a really good saw.

The Ferm is just like the one in Record’s Select range RSTS10 that costs £200 which got a good write up in Good Woodworking. It has an induction motor as you know but as doughnut said when wood hits the blade and starts cutting it’s not going to be quite anymore.

Good Luck with your purchase and let us know which one you get :)

I just spent ages writing a response to this post and my PC bailed out :evil: . Don't you just hate that?

The precid version is as follows:-

I have a Ferm table saw and setting the fence square to the blade is a REAL problem :? .

The blade is not square to the table :? .

The measure is a complete waste of time :roll: .

The blade angle on the graticule is well out and it will not achieve 45 degrees :? .

There are some areas on the table where the fence will not lock :x .

The mitre gauge wobbles in the slot such that each mitre you cut is different :( .

The blade does not leave a clean cut, not even in softwood :evil: .

However,

The motor is very quiet and seems very powerful :) .

The saw is cheap (get what you pay for) :D .

The upshot is, buy the best you can afford. it is worth waiting to but something a little better.

Regards

Chris
The Wizard

after seeing the delta at the international woodworking show (ali-pali) I`ve decided to purchase it (eventually)

I think that i am slowly learning the lesson about "buy the best you can afford" :D

stevezm:
slightly confussed by your post

i looked at the delta, liked it, saw that it was well made (and at present within my price range) so I`m eventually goint to buy it.

i.e. I`m choosing the delt over the ferm saw

I have the delta 36525 saw. I've had it for a couple of years.
I would have to advise against buying it. I am looking to upgrade at soon as I can afford to (you're welcome to mine!)
Two things bug me the most - the mitre gauge is sloppy - you have to push to the right to get accurate cuts. And the fence is is pain to set absolutely parallel to the blade - even though you can clamp it both sides.
It is *very* noisy as well.
Saying that it does have a good depth of cut - and it does cut pretty well. It depends what you're using it for but I'm not sure how much of an improvement you will find over your exisitng table saw - they're in a similar class in my opinion. I haven't used the Ferm but I doubt it's much better.
Have you considered going for something like the Electra Beckum PK200 for £360 odd (without any extras). I know it's over a £100 more but I'm now considering this (and the sheppach 2000!) You could add the extras as you can afford them.
Please feel free to ask me any more questions on the Delta (PM if you like). By the way the mitre gauge has a non standard slot as well which is awkward.
All the best in your shopping,
Cheers
Gidon

Back