Delta 25 piece sanding drum set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiffy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is one of these tools that once you buy and use, you wonder how you managed without.
They are designed to be used with an ordinary power drill and even a cheap and cheerful DIY drill will do and is probably the best because the lighter the drill the better. I will explain why in a wee while.

In the box you get 5 different sized drums, from 15mm diameter to 55mm, and two sets of the sanding sleeves of 100 grit and two sets of 60 grit. The quality is good enough to allow these sleeves to last quite a bit.

I kind of stumbled on my set at a car boot sale after taking a wee break away from the kitchen I was making. The worktops are made of 40mm solid ash and I had just cut the sink cutout for a Belfast sink and created a nice rounded edge with my round over bit. Unfortunately, a few bad burn marks were made at the inset corners of the cutout, and since I was still wincing due to the huge blister on my thumb through previous sanding, I thought something else was needed.
I knew as soon as I seen the sanding drum set, that it was the tool for the job.
Sure enough, 10 minutes after setting my drill up with the smallest drum, the worktop was perfect and I had one of those satisfying 'just made a good tool purchase' moments.

I have since set it up in a drill stand to make perfect circular holes and easy profiles after cutting most of the wood out with a jigsaw.
As ash seems to burn easily, or maybe I was too slow with the router, I was using the smallest drum a lot to take out the burn marks. This is where the lightest drill possible is best, as you have to do this with the drill hand held.

I have seen these sanding drum sets with different brand names (they all seem to be in the same box) and ranging from 8-25 pounds. I at least think that you get your money back after two or three uses due to the time saved, as well as no wear on your thumb :D

Cheers,
Ray.

Nice review Ray

Where can I get these lovely drums for circa £8-25?

I am very interested in gettitng seveeral sizes to use in my pillar drill

Diameters are: 15, 20, 25, 40 and 55 mm.

I do not know for certain, but I think these are standards in all the different sets. As I said, they all look like they are in the same moulded plastic box.

I have only used the two smallest sizes and the largest. The smallest is perfect for getting into the internal cutouts and mouldings made by a 12mm bit.

The largest and I suppose the 40mm is perfect as a said for carefully following a penciled in profile. I could not believe how easy it was to get perfect holes in a wine rack by simply using a compass, cutting out the main bulk of the waste with a jigsaw, and then following the line. Easy and satisfying!

A wee tip: when sanding to a profile or a hole, put a piece of scrap under the work to lift and adjust the height of the work piece to the drum.

Tony,

Hereis a similar kit from Axminster for £9.93. I have bought one of these from Axminster, which while costing £49.35 (must have been on special don't remember paying that much) does allow you to use any grade/type of abrasive you want. :D

Must agree with Ray they are very useful for all sorts of jobs, I have made a table for the drill press with four inserts to suit the four drums. I even set it up to allow dust extraction down through the table. 8)

Note to Alf and Neil,

This should keep Tony busy for a few hours while he builds a better version. :wink:

DaveL":2ieq96ae said:
Note to Alf and Neil,

This should keep Tony busy for a few hours while he builds a better version. :wink:
ROTFL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Ray, and thank you for the review. On the basis of glowing reviews I splashed out on a Carrol drum sander for some enormous price. It's good, but for the amount of use I make of it I'd probably have been better off with a kit such as this. Heigh ho. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

DaveL":gs08ta1h said:
I have made a table for the drill press with four inserts to suit the four drums. I even set it up to allow dust extraction down through the table. :

Dave do you have a pic of what it looks like, i have spare drill press and was thinking of making a permanent sanding station....if only i could get it to bounce up and down as well :)

Hi Dave

DaveL":gibnbuzs said:
Note to Alf and Neil, This should keep Tony busy for a few hours while he builds a better version. :wink:

He's working on it right now. :roll:

Hi Ray

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the review.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":11kfkdcc said:
Hi Ray

Welcome to the forum and thank for the review.

Cheers
Neil
Hot d***, Neil, you're on fire! Only a month after he posted!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Cheers, Alf

Unable to resist, despite her better judgement. Sorry.

Tony,

A few pictures of the table I made.

Dscn3172s.jpg

Dscn3171s.jpg

Dscn3173s.jpg

The table is an offcut of pine board with a recess routed into it, between the centre of the spindle and a hole for the dust collector hose. I just drilled a hole and fitted a T nut, a stud with home made handle is used to hold the thing in place, battens give the location. Then a false top of MDF :oops: is fitted, I made four blanks to go into the cut out with holes to match the different drums.

Tony I see you give your location as Stevenage, well I live in Sudbury but work I Stevenage. :shock:

Our drum sander inserts look like they were separated at birth, Dave!

drillpress1.jpg

drillpress2.jpg

NeilCFD

tony if you want it to bounce up and down think of a pole lathe wrap a bit of string round the handle that you turn ,to make it go down ,now if you tie the other end to a bit of wood for a pedel wal eh press the pedel and down it goes lift your foot and up it comes . that will keep him busy, bless :D :D

DaveL":3kcj1rly said:
Tony,

Tony I see you give your location as Stevenage, well I live in Sudbury but work I Stevenage. :shock:

Dave,

Table looks great, if you ever get stuck in a blizzard in Stevenage, give me a shout :)

Guys

Good thinking on the jigs, I really like them.

Neil I note that you have two aluminium runners in yours, excuse my ignorance but what are they intended for.

Hi Waka,

Its a combined drilling and drum sanding table, so the runners are for the moveable fence I use when drilling:

drillpress3.jpg

Its a brilliant system, it transforms the drill press into a much more useful tool for woodworking :)

NeilCFD

UKTony":3fh6l2cb said:
if you ever get stuck in a blizzard in Stevenage, give me a shout :)

Don't laugh but almost 2 years ago the journey home that on a good night takes an hour and a half took 12 hours. :shock:
So if the weather gets bad I might be looking you up. :D

Back