Delta 16 variable speed scroll saw help required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonio-d

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning everyone I have just purchased a secondhand delta 16 inch scroll saw model 40 540. I was wondering if anyone had a blade changing tool spare they would want to sell? If not has anyone changed the blade clamps to something with a conventional grub screw type clamps??

You could get by with an Allen Key (4mm) and a bit of 5mm bar (plain end of a drill bit). It won't be as fast as the proper tool but better than changing the clamp. A copy of the manual if it helps.

Attachments

• 40-540 (1).pdf
    699.7 KB · Views: 55
loftyhermes":31u6i118 said:
You could get by with an Allen Key (4mm) and a bit of 5mm bar (plain end of a drill bit). It won't be as fast as the proper tool but better than changing the clamp. A copy of the manual if it helps.

Thank you

Another quick question what size blades do I need and I take it they are pinless blades ?

Hi, I have a Delta variable speed scroll saw 16" it came to me via eBay.uk. everything is great apart from quick change clamps, I have all the parts etc but not got a clue how to operate them, I've tried all ways, front back middle in fact anyway a blade could fit. No grip!!! Have made something for the time being out of 2 washers! But not really any good.If anyone has a photo or drawing of how these quick clamps are supposed to work I would be grateful if you could post the on this site. I am going crazy with such a silly problem. Hoping, Mick

Here's a copy of a delta 40-560 type 2, all quickset clamps work the same, it should help you. Open up the clamp, the blade goes in the slot from the front and then the lever is pulled towards you which tightens onto the blade, if it doesn't then you need to adjust it with the nut on the opposite side of the clamp to the lever.

Attachments

• 40 560 type2.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 13
  • blade clamp (1)_thumb.JPG
    blade clamp (1)_thumb.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 15
  • blade clamp (3)_thumb.JPG
    blade clamp (3)_thumb.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 14
  • blade clamp (4).jpg
    blade clamp (4).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 15
  • blade clamp (5).jpg
    blade clamp (5).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 15
Here's a copy of a delta 40-560 type 2, all quickset clamps work the same, it should help you. Open up the clamp, the blade goes in the slot from the front and then the lever is pulled towards you which tightens onto the blade, if it doesn't then you need to adjust it with the nut on the opposite side of the clamp to the lever.
Thanks very much, you've made my day. I'M not usually a numpty regarding tools (retired bench joiner 70 young) but so easy it passed me by. A gem!

One thing I would say about adjusting the knob to hold the blade, do not overtighten it, it doesn't need that much to hold the blade. If you overtighten it at best you'll bend the lever, worst case break it. When closing the lever it should have a slight resistance to it, if the blade slips out then tighten the knob up a fraction till it stays put. All this is easier to do than write it down. :)

Back