Delicate balance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
In an effort to reestablish the delicate balance of planes in the world, I just bought this Stanley 50 from a seller in England. I'm so happy!
I just saw Roy Underhill for the first time a few weeks ago and was amazed; I have since decided to use more hand tools, more often! I guess you guys (and gals) have something to do with it too.
So pardon me for this gloat, but I think I got a pretty good price, even when I calculate shipping. And now the plane world will start rotating on its axis once again!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Frank D.":3pxbmdsh said:
So pardon me for this gloat, but I think I got a pretty good price, even when I calculate shipping.

Having looked at what you bought you definitely suck. :D

Very nice, Frank. And of course it's all St Roy's fault. We bear no responsibility at all. No, sir. [-( :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Slip slidin' away...

Of course it's not your fault Alf (if I start blaming you guys SWMBO will start giving me a hard time for spending time on the forums...)!
It just arrived today! I was so anxious to try it I just grabbed a piece of hard maple and without sharpening the blades (they weren't too bad but I can do a lot better) I made my first groove. Here it is:
DSC02328_maple_groove_37k.sized.jpg

It's as clean as if I'd used a router, and I didn't even mount the nickers. It took me about a minute, not bad for my first one, and it was surprisingly easy to push. I've heard people say that combination planes were meant for softwoods only, but now I know that's not true. I can't wait to sharpen the blades... I'll probably make a few more with different shapes.
DSC02329_50_groove_40k.sized.jpg

Waka":2e2csiif said:
Frank

Nice buy and a good clean result, how far down the slope are you?

Thanks! Not far enough it seems, just as I thought things were bottoming out I've started accelerating again... :shock: :D
Chris, thanks for the tip, I won't bother trying it out for nothing. I had also read somewhere that some people trace the lines with a knife for a clean job...maybe on difficult woods, I guess I'll see when it happens.

Back