Delayed case of handlemania

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evergreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

The handle on my back saw (a gift from the LOML years ago) had lousy ergonomics and was very ugly. I wanted a chunky grip that brought my hand lower behind the blade. So when everyone seemed to be replacing their saw handles a couple of months ago, I became enthusiastic. Then I got distracted on to other domestic priorities, the way you do. I’ve just finished my improved handle and as you can see, it’s far from perfect. But I’ve used up a treasured offcut (mahogany?) that was just 8” x 4 ¼ “ and I’ve now got a comfy grip that fills my hand. Seems to help control considerably too.

DSCN0803.jpg

Many thanks to Alf and Mike W for their invaluable advice so generously shared in various places on this forum.

Regards.

First rate job that Evergreen Good for you 8)
Is this your first go at handle carving? I found it extremely rewarding when I had a go
How did you shape the form up with files/rasps etc or did you use a router or what method?
Are you going to keep the old handle as a memento :wink:
cheers Jonathan :D

HI Evergreen

Well done on the handle and as Jonathan has said it does put a smile on your face when you use it. :)

Hi Jonathan

That's the first handle I've made right through to completion. I had two practice goes at getting the saw kerf right on some odd bits of iroko. I used Alf's tip of clamping another saw down and then rubbing the handle block against it. I then cut the handle shape out with a coping saw and did most of the finer shaping with a chisel, used bevel down rather like a mini spokeshave. I finished off with an ancient half round file and sand paper. Took me ages but it was very satisfying.

Regards.

I used a largish riffler rasp for most of mine, in fact that project permanently changed my view of rasps and files in woodworking. Same as with scraper's I had dismissed them as "not proper tools". But how wrong I was. I use a big old cabinet rasp nearly every day now!! Its great for dealing with wild grain.

How did you line up the hole's for drilling the wood? I cut my kerf (mercifully it went right first time-which is extremely unusual for me!) then sandwiched it around the blade with some clamps and drilled after that. Oh and what finish did you use, its a nice colour? (nosy so and so me I know!!)

Hi Jonathan

I took a cardboard template of the screw holes from the blade and marked their exact centres on the new handle block, veeeery carefully. Then I drilled right through with the smallest drill bit I had (as advised by Mike Wenzloff), then used a Forstner bit to create a recess for the medallion and the screw heads on both sides. Finally, I drilled right through for the full diameter of the screws themselves.

I used an American gun stock finish called Birchwood Casey's Tru-oil. My reasoning was that a saw handle, like a gun stock, has lots of exposed end grain and has to take hard knocks. The Tru-oil is a bit gloopy but it fills the grain a treat and gives me the impression that it'll be as tough as old boots. The colour of the wood is absolutely natural and my rubbish photography doesn't do it justice - in real life, it's beautiful.

The whole exercise made me respect the work of custom tool makers like Mike W even more.

Regards.

=D> Now you're on this Slope you'll want to look into rasps and sharper files and really enjoy yourself... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Slopes indeed...look at how far I've slid...

Nice job! That shape of handle is one of my favorites. Nice choice of wood, too.

Way to go!

Take care, Mike

A very stylish looking handle - certainly beats the look and probably the feel of the original. I suspect that the saw is much easier to use now as well - Rob

Back