Degree in furniture making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Hayman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been thinking for a while about starting a college course in furniture making. Specifically the one offered by Leeds college of art. I realise i've missed the sign up for this year but am planning ahead and getting a portfolio together for next year.

I thought i'd ask around if any members have undertaken such a course and really i'm looking for any advice you can offer. Perhaps even an alternative college however being near home has its advantages!

http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/home/our-cou ... re-making/

Cheers

Thomas

You'll find that Richard Jones of this parish is 'head honcho' there and regularly shows student work on the forum - Rob

If you are planning to enrol at the end of the year i would strongly recommend you to find a cabinet maker or company near you who will give you some experience.

Offer to sweep the floors, sharpen their tools (if they teach you how to!) etc and before you know it they will have you doing some work on the bench but you will be amazed how much you will learn - the experience will then set you on the right road and give you the basic knowledge you need prior to starting the degree course.

Hit the road running and all that!

Rog is right about gaining as much experience as you can Leeds is a great course but there is no substitute for hands on experience with a company.

It also may mean that they can give you holiday work as well.

Tom

Thanks for the advice guys, guess it's time to start taking pics of my work and putting some kind of record together! MIght even put some online!

Been looking for a new job anyway! :-D

Thomas Hayman":b18qjvjz said:
Thanks for the advice guys, guess it's time to start taking pics of my work and putting some kind of record together! MIght even put some online!
Been looking for a new job anyway!
Thomas, I've always been keen to interview candidates from a wide range of backgrounds for the course-- school leavers with appropriate qualifications to career changers have all had the chance to successfully negotiate their way through the courses demands.

I'm afraid you'll have to look further afield than the course I run at Leeds College of Art. A decision has been taken to close the programme therefore, unfortunately, there won't be a new intake in September 2012. Slainte.

Oh twittery that's not good!

I appreciate the knowledge upfront though and i can plan accordingly so thank you very much. It's really a great shame that courses such as this are being cut back on!

Do you have any recommendations for simillar courses that would be considered close by? I need access to my workshop lol

Dodge":2l9mw21v said:
If you are planning to enrol at the end of the year i would strongly recommend you to find a cabinet maker or company near you who will give you some experience.

Offer to sweep the floors, sharpen their tools (if they teach you how to!) etc and before you know it they will have you doing some work on the bench but you will be amazed how much you will learn -!

Rog,

I am interested in your comment. I am 'resting' at the moment and thought of approaching a local furniture maker with just that request as I can't think of a better way of developing my skills, but I haven't plucked up the courage to ask - I have assumed that they would not be interested in having someone (in my case pushing 50 years old) under their feet - paid or not. Do you speak here from experience?

Cheers

Steve

Back