Definitely not Mahogany !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm65

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

Been given some wood today - removed from a doorframe and was given it as Mahogany

First sight told me it wasn't but had to wait till tonight to clean some up

Straight after grot removal with the belt sander -
IMAG1116(2).jpg

And after a little planning -
IMAG1122(2).jpg

Sawdust is yellowish which made me think of Iroko

The board also feels a bit greasy after planning

Come on then, who's first ?

Attachments

• IMAG1116(2).jpg
    IMAG1116(2).jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG1122(2).jpg
    IMAG1122(2).jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 247
Bob's first - go Bob =D>

Here's some rough cut end grain
IMAG1127(2).jpg

Here's another shot with a piece of actual Mahogany on top
IMAG1125(2).jpg

Real men do it in their slippers btw 8)

Attachments

• IMAG1125(2).jpg
    IMAG1125(2).jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG1127(2).jpg
    IMAG1127(2).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 233
I`ll say Teak, Teak is a funny wood some times it can be hard as iron and the the next piece can be like putty.
When you work it and rub you hand on it it feels greasy and can some times stink to high heaven. What makes me say Teak is when you look at the pic with the end grain in it on the right hand side on the long grain you can see a streak of white this shows up in the long grain some times it looks like powder and sometimes looks like grains of sand but it is actually part of the tree ,if you have to work that it takes the edge off your tools in no time at all.

Because of the natural grease in the wood it makes an excellent out doors timber left to its self the color fades and it goes gray.

It might be Ipe, although colour is a bit clear . Is it somewhat fibrous in texture, although quite hard? (tungsten carbide tipped tools are recommended for machining Ipe). If it is Ipe, be careful about the yellow dust, it is toxic and allergenic.

Thanks for the responses everyone - I've never seen or worked Teak and seem to remember Iroko being more reddish in colour

The wood does feel greasy to the touch after planning - didn't check after sanding - and I found it pretty easy going though couldn't get full shavings like I expected as the grain seems to change direction often

Sanding and sawing produces yellow dust or is it a light brown ?

I think we can discount Ipe as I don't find this a particularly hard wood (shame though, sounds exotic :) and as you can hopefully see below, it's not fibrous - the opposite in fact, look how it's snapped away pretty clean
IMAG1133(2).jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1133(2).jpg
    IMAG1133(2).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 146
:) not sorry at all, never had any teak before and as well as the piece I have cleaned up and modelled for you, I have two boards almost 6ft by nearly 7x2

Wonder what to do with it now

Good idea Phil, but I'll keep these till I get another place with a garden

Went to a site today where there is a guy who knows his wood and he is definite that this is Teak so I think that's timber well saved from the skip !!!

Thanks again everyone for your comments

Back