Defective Thicknesser or Hamfisted Use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, the seller Nuts and Bolts UK did arrange collection as soon as I asked for a return and refund, and have now provided a full refund. In the end N&B UK were good to deal with.

The support through the ManoMano website is a bit flaky. Adding images sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Instead of logging on to ManoMano and replying that way, it was possible to reply direct to the sellers email which then replicated on the ManoMano customer support page.

I am now left in the position of having no thicknesser. And while it was a luxury, I have trimmed timber (4x2, 3x2) since with a table saw and sanding - anything deeper than 4x2 ideally I need a thicknesser or another solution. Only other thicknesser in my budget is the Triton TPT125 (The Metabo was on offer at £321). The Dewalt is way to much for an amateur like me, for an occasional hobbyist it's just too expensive for me, and probably better than the rest of my ability.

I am now left in the position of having no thicknesser.
Sorry but you are looking at tool purchase from the wrong point of view.

There are extremely few tools where buying to a budget makes much sense.

If you can’t afford it now and it’s a tool you will use then wait until you can afford it.

there are c*r*a*p tools (as you have discovered) there are poor tools, there are good tools, and there are tools that are great.

If you only but good and great you will either grow into them or realise that you never will get good enough and be able to sell them without losing much money.

Sorry but you are looking at tool purchase from the wrong point of view.

There are extremely few tools where buying to a budget makes much sense.

If you can’t afford it now and it’s a tool you will use then wait until you can afford it.

there are c*r*a*p tools (as you have discovered) there are poor tools, there are good tools, and there are tools that are great.

If you only but good and great you will either grow into them or realise that you never will get good enough and be able to sell them without losing much money.
You are correct! I've always been one for waiting until I can afford what I want, or managing without - but i've only been working with wood for a year or so, and I don't want to end up with a shed full of tools that I use little in a year or so if my enjoyment/interest wains? I get your point that 'good' tools hold value and can be sold on. I will of course wait until I can afford a thicknesser that I believe will give the results I am looking for, and see how I feel about it at that point.

You are correct! I've always been one for waiting until I can afford what I want, or managing without - but i've only been working with wood for a year or so, and I don't want to end up with a shed full of tools that I use little in a year or so if my enjoyment/interest wains? I get your point that 'good' tools hold value and can be sold on. I will of course wait until I can afford a thicknesser that I believe will give the results I am looking for, and see how I feel about it at that point.
I’ve had a Triton TPT 125 for about three years and would certainly recommend it.

Back