Defective Thicknesser or Hamfisted Use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am usually very careful when using any tools - I like to look after my stuff, but on first use of a New Metabo DH330 Thicknesser, I ended up with a bent blade and a bent blade holder as shown in the photo below. Only one of the blades and holders was affected.

Struggling to get a Thicknesser due to supply/demand, I eventually purchased this through ManoMano (not something I would now ever recommend), and the retailer has been going back and forth to Metabo direct with the issue. Metabo first agreed to replace the blades, and then eventually the blade holder. The retailer said Metabo said "Due to the size & weight of this machine, they decided against collecting the item due to fear of damage within the courier network". They have also gone on to say "They have also advised that this machine is only suitable for pre-planned wood, rough or warped timber is not recommended ". Surely this shouldn't be a limitation? Or am I expecting too much?

Are the lunchbox style thicknessers prone to this kind of damage? I was genuinely careful, with the machine, so I don't want to end up with repeat damage, as blades are expensive.

Consumer wise, I would return the product to a shop if I'd bought on the high street (something I usually do), but it's a lot more difficult dealing with retailers at a distance - and I'm not 100% sure of my rights? In fairness the retailer has been good at replying, but they/Metabo seem reluctant to take the machine back?

IMG_8322.JPG

Do you have a photo of the piece of wood it was cutting? And was it a heavy cut ( i.e 2 or 3mm )
The wood fibres have essentially got under the blade inbetween it and the block, so maybe it wasnt done up enough? I have had a similar thing with a handheld planer, but only once in about 25 years of site use.

If you have any doubts about your rights then contact trading standards & they will tell you what your rights are with regards to distance selling.

I have a Titan thicknesser of the same sort of style & it gets used on rough & warped boards all the time, I buy hardwood slices from a local sawmill & prepare them myself, warped boards go through first side shimmed on a sled to give me one good side then the second side as normal.

Do you have a photo of the piece of wood it was cutting? And was it a heavy cut ( i.e 2 or 3mm )
The wood fibres have essentially got under the blade in between it and the block, so maybe it wasnt done up enough? I have had a similar thing with a handheld planer, but only once in about 25 years of site use.
@baldkev It wasn't a heavy cut, It was a maximum of 1mm, because the first time I put the timber through, it didn't actually plane it, literally just brushed the top. I then wound the handle 1/2 a turn which equates to 1mm. I never checked if the blade was secure, as I would expect it to be so from manufacture.

I have a Titan thicknesser of the same sort of style & it gets used on rough & warped boards all the time, I buy hardwood slices from a local sawmill & prepare them myself, warped boards go through first side shimmed on a sled to give me one good side then the second side as normal.
@martin.pearson the board was rough sawn, but wasn't actually that rough, but I have seen much on you tube where boards have been flattened using the process you describe, and would expect this to be perfectly ok.

while I have been waiting for the retailer to negotiate with Metabo, I have used the thicknesser to plane down boards on the non-damaged part of the blade, and this seems to have been ok, but I have literally been winding the handle less than 1/4 of a turn which equates to 0.5mm or less.

The manufacturer claims 3mm planing capability, which is not something I can ever see - but then they have come back to me stating it should be finished wood only? sounds like it's defeating the object to me!

If you have any doubts about your rights then contact trading standards & they will tell you what your rights are with regards to distance selling.

I've just bought a Triton Thicknesser and would be interested in a photo of the sled in action if that's possible? Could you start a new thread though as I don't wish to hijack this thread.

@50020 Your contract is with Mano Mano and they should take it back at their cost and either have it repaired/replaced or refund you. If they refuse then email them stating that your contract is with them and give them and demand payment by xyz date (make it 7 days from the email) after which you will start legal proceedings.

good luck, let us know how it goes

Hi,

I am usually very careful when using any tools - I like to look after my stuff, but on first use of a New Metabo DH330 Thicknesser, I ended up with a bent blade and a bent blade holder as shown in the photo below. Only one of the blades and holders was affected.

Struggling to get a Thicknesser due to supply/demand, I eventually purchased this through ManoMano (not something I would now ever recommend), and the retailer has been going back and forth to Metabo direct with the issue. Metabo first agreed to replace the blades, and then eventually the blade holder. The retailer said Metabo said "Due to the size & weight of this machine, they decided against collecting the item due to fear of damage within the courier network". They have also gone on to say "They have also advised that this machine is only suitable for pre-planned wood, rough or warped timber is not recommended ". Surely this shouldn't be a limitation? Or am I expecting too much?

Are the lunchbox style thicknessers prone to this kind of damage? I was genuinely careful, with the machine, so I don't want to end up with repeat damage, as blades are expensive.

Consumer wise, I would return the product to a shop if I'd bought on the high street (something I usually do), but it's a lot more difficult dealing with retailers at a distance - and I'm not 100% sure of my rights? In fairness the retailer has been good at replying, but they/Metabo seem reluctant to take the machine back?

View attachment 119587

I see ManoMano are not actually the retailer, going by their T & C they are only a platform to connect sellers and buyers. I always assumed they were a retail operation. Your planner was sold to you by Nuts & Bolts Ltd in Weston-Super-Mare.

Article 16 – Role and liability of ManoMano
ManoMano, in its capacity as operator of the Platform, acts as an intermediary for connecting Sellers, Users and Buyers on the Platform.

Furthermore:

• the Products are sold by the Sellers on the Platform at their sole liability;
  • ManoMano is not party to the sales contract concluded between the Buyers and
Sellers when Orders are placed nor is it the Seller’s agent.

Consequently, ManoMano would not be held liable for any disputes linked to Orders placed via the Platform, except if it is established to be at fault.

And their "Concrete Guarantee":

Pursuant to the Concrete Guarantee, ManoMano agrees to:

• make contact with the Seller in order to try and resolve the dispute amicably;
  • implement a solution which is acceptable to both the Buyer and the Seller.
Anyway, hope you get thing sorted one way or another. I can't see the damage as described being your fault. I've had a similar unit (Delta) for a very long time and, touch wood, have never had close to the situation you have. The odd nick on the blades is the worst that has happened.

The contact through the ManoMano account does go straight through to the retailer, Nuts & Bolts Ltd, and in fairness N&BLtd have been good at replying - but they simply stated
"Hi, it is Metabo UK as the manufacturer who facilitate the warranty of the item, which you are covered by for 12 months as standard from the date of purchase. As soon as the have advised how to proceed i shall be in touch. Kind regards."

... and each correspondence I have had has clearly been waiting on a reply from Metabo.

The contact through the ManoMano account does go straight through to the retailer, Nuts & Bolts Ltd, and in fairness N&BLtd have been good at replying - but they simply stated

... and each correspondence I have had has clearly been waiting on a reply from Metabo.

That's good. Without taking away from your issues I was quite surprised how ManoMano operated, or in reality didn't operate. Good to know as they are usually near the top in searches. I didn't mean to do the granny and eggs thing.
But again, hope N & B Ltd and Metabo see you right and quickly.

I don’t think manomano are that interested in uk trading standards.. probably best to contact metabo in the uk

It’s the Consumer Rights Act that applies and if gives pretty good protection. It sounds as if the goods are not fit for the purpose intended (faulty) so you are entitled to a full refund with return costs met by the retailer. You should not be left waiting to hear what the manufacturer thinks about it - the contract to buy the item is with the retailer not the manufacturer.

If you paid by credit card you could also have a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

The best place to get a straightforward explanation imho is

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

I don’t think manomano are that interested in uk trading standards.. probably best to contact metabo in the uk

Probably not but the OP said that he wasn't sure what his rights are & they will be able to explain them to him & possibly advise on a what he can do.

@mikej460 I will see if I can find any pictures, started putting all my equipment into storage as my workshop landlord is knocking them down to build houses & I am having trouble finding a new place that is big enough & I can afford,
It's nothing more than a piece of 18mm birch ply really, long enough that that one end is on the outfeed table before the stock starts to cut, full width of the thicknesser Paste waxed the bottom of it & shim & then hot glue the stock timber in place. There is a thin strip glued/screwed across the sled that I butt the stock piece up against.
Not sure if it needs to be on the outfeed table before it starts to cut but I thought it might help prevent snipe lol

The manufacturer claims 3mm planing capability, which is not something I can ever see - but then they have come back to me stating it should be finished wood only? sounds like it's defeating the object to me!

That statement does seem to defeat the purpose of buying the planer. In Paragraph 3.1 of the DH 330 Operator's Manual, the specified conditions for use states "Use of this machine only for thickness planing of solid wood. Any other use is not as specified." There is no mention of limiting the use to finished wood.

Apparently, the blade problem you are experiencing is known. From the two videos I watched, the blade retaining plate might be too thin and allows wood chips to get packed under the blade.

Here's a video from 2016 showing the problem.

Here's another video from last year.

Here is the blog post from a woodworker in the Czech Republic who has a potential fix.

https://rimmerak.wgz.cz/rubriky/technika/metabo-dh330-fix

They have also gone on to say "They have also advised that this machine is only suitable for pre-planned wood, rough or warped timber is not recommended ". Surely this shouldn't be a limitation? Or am I expecting too much?
It is clearly not fit for purpose. No reasonable user would consider that a restriction for any plainer. Being in the U.K. you can absolutely return it as being not suitable for its intended use of planning wood and due to its design, being incapable of ever being suitable for purpose.

Not sure if it helps or not but I've dealt with N&B in the past as I bought a bunch of festool stuff from them and they were very good and helped when I had some questions

This may seem strange but the magazine Computer Active have an excellent "department" that helps purchasers sort out problems with suppliers. I've seen them help with the same sort of issues you have and 40% of the problems are not connected with computer equipment. Worth having a look. BTW did you pay by credit card? Who did you pay: ManoMano or N&B. That may give you a bit more clout.

Probably not but the OP said that he wasn't sure what his rights are & they will be able to explain them to him & possibly advise on a what he can do.

@mikej460 I will see if I can find any pictures, started putting all my equipment into storage as my workshop landlord is knocking them down to build houses & I am having trouble finding a new place that is big enough & I can afford,
It's nothing more than a piece of 18mm birch ply really, long enough that that one end is on the outfeed table before the stock starts to cut, full width of the thicknesser Paste waxed the bottom of it & shim & then hot glue the stock timber in place. There is a thin strip glued/screwed across the sled that I butt the stock piece up against.
Not sure if it needs to be on the outfeed table before it starts to cut but I thought it might help prevent snipe lol
Sounds exactly like one I watched on YouTube last night so please don't go to any trouble as from your description and the video I'm comfortable with what I need. Thanks or getting back to me and good luck with your workshop search.

Sounds exactly like one I watched on YouTube last night so please don't go to any trouble as from your description and the video I'm comfortable with what I need. Thanks or getting back to me and good luck with your workshop search.
Yes think youtube was where I first noticed them, not sure why they call it a sled, like I said it's really just a piece of birch ply lol

Thank you for all the replies so far.
I have asked to return the thicknesser, and for a refund. They have agreed to organise a courier, I’m just waiting a time for this to be organised now.

I am disappointed in the Metabo really, I did expect better. Just need a replacement thicknesser. The Dewalt is too much for my budget which is circa £300/£350. I got the Metabo for £322 which I thought was a good deal.

Latest posts

Back