Default 18v pin gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got or used the Dewalt 18v pin gun ? i saw it at kempton park and looked good . Does it have the same problems as the paslode pin gun ? Ive had 2 of the paslode guns and both have been a nightmare (the framing paslode nailer has been great ) I had an air compressed dewalt that was good but its been nicked . Any views ?

A former colleague of mine bought one. I've used it and it seems to be OK if a little heavy after an air shooter, but he complains all the time about how expensive it is to run so he was only using it out on site work. Are the stick loads special?

Scrit

Seemed cheap to run to me . About £15 for 2500 64mm pins , cheaper than most ive used .

As I said, it wasn't mine, but I do remember the whining, even now (4 months later).... :lol:

Scrit

The whining from the tool or over the price of the nails ? :D

ive got the Dewalt nailgun ,which i think is excellent.i bought it from a supplier from usa called wakerdr(ebay)for £270 which inc p&p.like scrit said it is a bit heavy but ive only been using it for skirts&archs so it doesn't tend to be in my hand for that long.The nails i think are cheap if you compare them to paslode nails because theres no gas,and its got a really simple anti-jamming device(not that it jams very often)Forgot to say,because it was imported from the usa,the charger is to suit their voltage which is 110v so i had to snip the plug off and replace with a uk 110v site plug.no problems

I take it thats the "best on the market" excluding air nailers Andy ?

Yep, for portable nailers, it can't be beaten in my opinion.
Even an air nailer would be given a run for its money if you take it out with you, you have to carry a compressor and hoses, noise levels of the compressor, power source, dragging the hose etc.
The increased size of the tool to contend with the firing mechanism is not a problem compared to this IMO.

Andy

you either like dewalt or you dont. the nailer is a cracking piece of kit. i drove pins through galvanized clips when putting up cladding. some good deals on ebay. best price for nails is probably screwfix

Well im not a dewalt fan but bought the pin gun today and it is a blinding tool . I was a bit concerned about what sounded like a rattle after it fired but im told this is the fly wheel . 10/10 to dewalt .

What I found most amazing when I tested it (and still do!) is in 'bump' mode.
I was banging in 63mm nails into sapele, each one punched under, and it was going as fast as I could.
If this technology and power could be put into a 90mm framer, Paslode will be quaking in their boots even more than I imagine they already are (especially now Hitachi have a more user friendly version of the framer out)
Andy

Hi,
I see by your post that you've used/tested the Hitachi framing nailer.......just out of curiosity i'm interested in how/why you think it's more user friendly than tha paslode ? :D
I've seen them about but not really payed much attention to them as i've two paslodes already and not in the market for a new one atm.

I've had the paslodes for about four years now (both used daily as a rule) and never really had any probs with them.....ok they can be a bit tempermental from time to time but as long as you clean them every now and again and keep the gas warm on very cold days you should'nt have any real probs.

As i said i'm curious.....as when there due for replacement ..if there's a better one on the market i'd prolly be interested.

Cheers

I still rate the paslode framing nailer as a top tool but the pin gun is rubbish ! Ill do the real test on the dewalt pin gun tomorrow .......Gonna see if i can shoot beer cans with it free hand :lol:
purely in the name of market research !

Hi Nailer,

I went to Hitachi in Milton Keynes to look at the nailer about 4 months ago, and have a go with it, but haven't had chance to give it a full test.
IIRC,the gas canister loading is really simple, as is the nail loading, far easier than the Paslodes, which I have tested.
I'm hoping to get one in for a test ASAP

Andy

Cheers for the reply......i'll be interested in reading your review :D

A bit of healthy competition in the cordless framing nailer market can't do anyone any harm :D

I bought one on E bay for £175 (naked) . Had it about 2 months and use it in short bursts with 32mm to 64mm brads. Its been great the only problem is that I would have also liked it to take 20mm & 25mm brads. Its a must for second fixings

Just made a bathroom cabinet for myself (something for my house for once) and the dewalt gun put every pin under the surface of AWOak . Also ive started my library job and the Dewalt is making easy work of fixing the paneling below the shelves firing into the timber and fixing into the plaster behind . No nail wandering like the paslode . Seems to me the paslode fluctuates in its power where as dewalt stays on the setting you put it at . Shame they cant make the rest of thier machines like this :roll:

Back