Deer Family Intarsias

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my first large Intarsia's for a while made from Oak, Beech and Sycamore slowly getting back into it and have stacks waiting to do so will soon have some more to show ya.
Hope ya like them
Cheers
Brian
ps reason for poor image quality is poor lighting in the workshop office.

Attachments

• Stag Intarsia  19 May 2019 (Medium).jpg
    Stag Intarsia 19 May 2019 (Medium).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Doe and Fawn (Small) - Copy.jpg
    Doe and Fawn (Small) - Copy.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 696
Cheers Paul, anyone can do it once you know the techniques which are basically making sure your blade is square to the table as that keeps the sides of the individual pieces easier to fit together so don't try putting much pressure on the blade as you push it (the blade will bend) and take it slow no need for full speed as that blunts ya blades quicker. I only use Pegas number 3 skip blades and cut upto 40mm thick Oak.
Have a go at doing one you will get hooked and you don't need loads of big pieces of wood as most pieces are very small scrap bits.
Cheers
Brian

Thanks for the advice Brian.
I have a 40 watt laser which I bought to try my hand at marquetry but haven't used it yet. I'm now seriously considering a scrollsaw!
Regards, Paul

You will find a scroll saw more versatile and won't be restricted to thin sheets of wood unless your laser can cut through thick stuff? bit like James Bond lol

Cheers everyone I have a few ideas planned for future projects and once i have caught up with a few of the wildlife i will try them out. I have made myself a new workshop stereo which has a double din screen for videos and music etc plus blue tooth......this time i have solved the 12 volt power source so uses a plug laptop mains adaptor and much neater than the last one that had a Playstation mains adaptor with a fan in. If anyone's interested in seeing it let me know and i'll post it on here in the workshop section?
Cheers
Brian

Da man am back....yay! :D

Nice work Brian; I am as always, impressed and find myself going back to the photos and pouring over them, picking out the details...you got patience, brother!

sam

Cheers Sam, well today i finished 2 of the Hare Head Intarsias and actually uncovered the 5ft Clydesdales and cart project first time in 12 months so did a bit on the horses and will some more tomorrow before i start on a new Sheltie order on Monday. The 5ft one has about 2000 parts to cut and shape so not a fast one but it will get finished soon as i need the bench space for a another giant one. a set of jousting knights on horses complete with pewter armour at 5ft wide so lots of parts, I am still designing the pattern and experimenting on new techniques for casting pewter sheets that will wrap wooden figures and pewter cuts great with a scrollsaw......I don't think anyone's done anything similar so something different......when it done its going to a real castle up North lol that will be next year as its a lot of work (the planning takes longer than the cutting but its does help cut out mistakes and not having to recut stuff) I have attached a photo of the Clydesdales project as not sure if i posted it before.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• clydesdales and cart pattern 5ft (Medium).jpg
    clydesdales and cart pattern 5ft (Medium).jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 488
  • clydesdaleshow (Small).jpg
    clydesdaleshow (Small).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 488
hi Brian,he deer are fantastic as usual ,you are the standard bearer and we will try playing catch up great to have you back, I have not done any intarsia since forever ,but am just getting back scrolling after a long layoff , and my time seems to be taken up doing pieces for my wife's craft fares, just finished a totem I posted it under bits and bobs, be interested in your comments on that.

take care
John

Hadn't time earlier to reply properly, sorry.
2000 pieces? Jeez, Brian I was marvelling at the grass ( and heather?) pieces on the stag and thinking " Them's finicky thon". You must have infinite concentration and patience! But to then announce 5' and 2000 pieces... :shock: ...knock me down with a plate of soup...THEN he says he's messing about with cut pewter,not just inlaying it...part of me is deeply jealous of your imagination. The other part of me is deeply respectful of your skill. The whopper you did of the red kite is still on my ' track it down and have a shufti close up' list. Do let us all see the Clydesdales , even in progress? I remember them well in my grandfathers smithy, getting reshod. You never forget the smell or the sheer size of those beautiful animals.

Take care, Sam.

Back